Wrangled up a Bull Snake I think ...

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by bluesquirrely4, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

So yesterday i got a knock and the people a couple houses down had a snake in the yard. I'm in Eastern CO. well i go over there get the snake is brown with black rings, and was shaking his tail trying to sound like a rattle snake, but i know its now. i got it home put in a tank and its a good 4+ foot, (50 gall tank goes end to end) and has a checkerboard stomach. and the body of the snake is about as wide as my finger is.

I will put photos up tomorrow, but wanted to know if you have any ideas.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Prairie Kingsnake, Great Plains Rat Snake. It could be a Goher (Bull) Snake, as you suggested. A picture would allow me to know for sure.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

Here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

I'll say that it's Elaphe guttata, commonly known as a corn or a rat snake. It is more colorful than the typical rat snakes found in that part of the U.S. and it appears to be in shed at that. Do you live in a town or out in the country? If in town, I would say that it is possible that it's a corn snake that someone let go.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bluesquirrely4

bluesquirrely4 Member

1 day after the photo was taken he shed. and in town. so i know it was a pet at one point in time.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jayhawkbruce

jayhawkbruce Member

Sounds like it certainly could be, but there is amazing variation in nature, so it very well could also be a wild great plains rat snake. Do you still have it?