WTF: Gathering info

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by Leona&Amy, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

So gathering info has been rather difficult since everything I read says something different. I want a Whites they are very cute and I already have alot to get started with.

1. The substrate issue seems like a headache. I like the idea of coco bedding but it seems very messy even with it packed down. I have experience with impaction with one of my leos (she was on sand before I owned her) and I never want to deal with that again. I swore off loose particle substrates forever but many people seem to use it with their wtfs. I dont know what to think.
    Can they be fed in a seperate tank to avoid accidental ingestion of the substrate?

2. Temps. Im hearing alot of low 80s-high 70s. I live in the Pacific Northwest and it gets freakin cold here (right now its 16*F). So I think Im going to need supplimental heat. I have a uth and a heat lamp. What would be best? If uth side or bottom mounting?

3. Feeding. I have alot of crix mealies and calcium powder on hand for my leos. Will the cal no D3 be good for the wtf or will I need the kind with? Also what should a normal healthy adult weigh? Ive read they can get too fat so I want to be able to monitor its weight.

I know buying from a pet store is a very big no-no but it looks very healthy and not too obese. Its also a local pet store and they take better care of their pets than the petco here. There are also no breeders around and Ive NEVER heard of a herp show here.
    Im am going to be using a tank thats a bit too small right away (its a exo terra viv 12-12 I think) but will have a bigger setup around christmas. The tank its in at the store is smaller than mine so I figure it should be ok for less than a month.

Im sure Ill have more questions as I think them up.
    So do many people have wtf? If you would lik eto post pics of your viv even if its not for a wtf I would love to see them for ideas.

Thanks in advance ~Amelia

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

Eco Earth or the Coco stuff is really the best thing to use they can digest it or you can try the reptile carpet with potted plants although make sure u use plain dirt for the plants as the frogs will touch it.
    Rubber tree plants are the best plant to support the fat little guys. you can feed them in a seperate tank although that makes it harder for you and they arnt hunting and eating when they want too its easy to just dump crickets in the cage over night they usually eat everything by mornning never feed them mealies if you dont want impaction just stick w/crix. The wtf needs d3 supplement which they will get from the Electrod3ize made by Exo Terra that you will need to get, also some stress coat for fish helps and is a good idea.
    Normal cricket calcium powder every two feedings is ok.
    NO uth heater. A heat bulb at night red or black light some nights might help.
    a range from 70 degrees to 80 is exceptable although you dont want any sudden drops from a few degrees in your temps. covering part of the screen with plastic wrap keeps heat in moisture in well although you should get a good heat and humidity gage for that.
    As long as the frog at the store is sticking to the glass during the day and has no bumps or scratches he should be healthy

my frogs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Leona&Amy

Hey thanks Grimmy! Your frogs are so cute! What are their names? Where did you get yours? Can I get a tank shot? So I notice you are a Washingtonian. Where do you live?
    So theres no set specific temp they should be at? Just between 70-80? I read that you can feed them mealies every once in a while to add variety. Is this false? What about a freshly shed one? They are all white and very soft. Stress coat is added to the water dish right? I have a digital thermometer w/ probe but what kind of humidity gauge do I need? And what % do I keep it at? Also do you know what a normal healthy adult weighs? How or where do you find plants with safe soil? Can you buy soil that has no fertilizer or pearlite and then just repot the plants?
    Thanks for all you help keep it commin!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

-The bottom picture is of my first frog his name is "Grimmy" i got him at Northwest Seed and Pet. The top pic is " The Other Frog" i got him at Petco.
    -I also live in Spokane.
    - as long as your temps dont drop down towards the mid 60's there isnt a real worrie with temps, its just you dont want a big drop from your average day temp.
    -as long as the mealie has shed and you only give him one or two you might have to cut his head off also.
    -yes a few drops of stress coat is added to the water dish.
    -you can buy just the humidity gage at the pet stores like petsmart.i wouldnt have it over 50% thats a bit much.
    30 to 40 your doing ok
    -you can weigh your frog with a food scale.. i dont have one anymore and cant rember the weight its just your frog should be plump like grimmy have some fatty ridges above his eyes and you shouldnt see his bones on his back.the other frog is skinny he doesnt eat as much as grimmy and wont try a pinkie mouse to fatten him up.
    - when you buy plants you have to repot them go out to the back yard hose them down wash off all the dirt and wipe down the leaves then go to a place like northwest seed and pet or some place the sells dirt and ask for dirt with out fertilizer and pearlite in it i found some you can too.
    -

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Leona&Amy

Hey thanks Grim youve been a great help. And to think someone in my town? Thats cool! Ive actually met someone else here on RR from Spokane (moshpitrockchic). I was amazed then and Im more amazed now. I live in Brownes Addition with my bf. I love Spokane.
    So do you have any other herps or pets?

So I went out and got my WTF this afternoon. It very sweet. By the time we got home it had turned brown. We put it in its tank in our room shut the door and left for a while. By the time we got back it was a very fresh green color and semi-active.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Leona&Amy

Where did you buy your Electrod3ize?

12. Grimmy

Grimmy Embryo

Northwest Seed and Pet but i got the last bottle the other day they have a 8.4 oz bottle $10.
    Petco and petsmart also have some although its smaller bottles.
    also Northwest Seed and Pet can also save you money on the Eco Eath or Coco Fiber brick stuff with a value pack of 3 bricks and there is a frog guy there that can answere some froggy questions while your there. Oh and they always give you more crickets then you asked for unlike the other stores that count each cricket.
    Northwest is the best pet store they just dont carry more then one product on the shelfs for some of the reptiles stuff for some reason so its luck sometimes.