WTF lighting

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by FergieTony, Jun 11, 2005.

1. FergieTony

FergieTony New Member

I plan on getting a WTF next week-yippee!
    I know the general care for them and I have most of the supplies alreay. However Iam very confused about the lighting. excactly what kind should I use and what wattage-It will be living in the basement which, as you proabably guessed it kind of cold. any lighting suggestions would really be appreciated
    Also I need a name for it-Im not sure of it's sex so any name goes
    Thankyou!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. outcold720

outcold720 Member

Are you having live plants in your tank? if you are then you must have a flourescent light for the plants. How are you heating it? you could use a incadescent light maybe 40-60 watts depending on how cold youre basement is. If you are using a heat pad attached to the back of the tank then you should go with a flourscent light becuase they have nice white light and it doesnt produce lots of heat

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. FergieTony

FergieTony New Member

so far I have a 40 watt red night ligh should I get a 60 watt day light? its suppose to be colder at night right?
    no-i dont have ne live plants

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. outcold720

outcold720 Member

it depends what are youre tempratures at? and yes ther is supposed to be a drop at night and go for a day light bulb you can see youre frogs true colours and dont bother buying the 8 buck reptile lightbulbs there the same as normal light bulbs you can get at wal-mart

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. FergieTony

FergieTony New Member

do regular light bulbs emit the UV rays?? and what would you say is the best wattage?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. outcold720

outcold720 Member

Every "white" light bulb emits UVA rays. WTF's do not need UVB. WTF's need a daytime temperature of 25-27°C (75-82°F) with a drop at night to 22°C (72°F). To find the right temps get a bunch of normal cheap bulbs that are all different wattages and test each bulb to find the right temprature. When you find the right wattage then go and buy the more expensive bulb if you wish. As for the night time drop 72°F is around room temprature so you dont need to heat the cage at night.

12. FergieTony

FergieTony New Member

will a low wattage noght light be ok?