WTF substrate??

Discussion in 'Treefrogs' started by lynner, Feb 26, 2006.

1. lynner

lynner New Member

I just got a WTF and I am using expandable coconut fiber substrate and quite frankly I really dont like it. It sticks to my frog and doesnt come off and gets into his eyes which I cant imagine is to pleasant for him. I was thinking about just plain potting soil without any perlite or vercumulite in it would that work? or do you have any other ideas?

Thanks, lynner

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. brittone05

brittone05 Well-Known Member

I use standard eco eart mixed with a fertiliser free compast typed soil. Yes, it sticks to them and it is sooo messy - little muddy frog feet everywhere lol but it is the closest thing I could find to create as natural as possible environment for them - my frogs love it :D

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

Coconut Fiber is the best substrate for them. Make sure you have a deep enough water dish so that the WTF can clean itself off. Also, make sure the substrate stays moist. That way it wont stick to the WTF so much.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Eric4242

Eric4242 Embryo

How do you feed them on the coconut fiber though? I was using it at first, but they are such clumsy eaters my whites were getting mouthfulls of the substrate with every bite. Im using paper towels now but still on the lookout for something better.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. insomniac

insomniac New Member

It's alright if they swallow a bit of it, they eventually learn to wipe it from their mouths anyways, for the most part. It's very easy to digest though, I've always had all of my frogs on coconut fiber and they've been fine :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. nuggular

nuggular Well-Known Member

You need to keep the cocofiber damp and padded down, that way they wont get so much if any in their mouths. But be aware, that if they injest to much cocofiber, it can lead to impaction. So just keep it packed down good. I'm sure frog in the wild get mouthfulls of dirt and other things when they eat.

12. Zaf1577

Zaf1577 Embryo

I first started my WFT tank with cocofiber substrate. Nuggular is right, the best way to keep them from ingesting too much cocofiber is to keep it packed down. It is also a very good way to keep the humidity levels up. I just recently removed my cocofiber substrate. I guess seeing them wipe away substate from their mouths when eating crickets finally got to me....even though I know that impaction was unlikely because they were not ingesting that high of a level of substrate when they ate. I am now using reptile carpet for the bottom of my tank. It is easy to see "droppings" and/or urination markings, and super easy to clean. The only downfall is that I now mist my cage twice as much....