Yah!

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by lizardgurl87, Nov 21, 2011.

1. lizardgurl87

lizardgurl87 HOTM Winner April

So, I'm really happy! My new anole(Naomi) and Rhubarb are getting along great! :D I only put her in a few hours ago and they're sleeping together!-I was a little nervous at first, since I wasn't sure if she was a girl, but she is thankfully :) He's real happy to have someone to be with again:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He wasn't even that territorial at first-he only puffed out his dewlap some, not at all like when he first met Nesrine(but, it was a smaller tank then)or mated.
    [​IMG]
    I love it when he does that! :p and I don't get to see it often, but I'm glad!

geckolover22 and StikyPaws312 like this.
  2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. geckolover22

geckolover22 Well-Known Member

Awww how adorable :3

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

lol! that second pic is adorable!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Cool! Im not at all familiar with anoles, they're not a common pet here in sweden at all, do they like to live in couples? they seem really sweet and im glad they get along :)

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. lizardgurl87

@Dogking-thanks! that's my fave too :D and @spaceboy-No, they don't have to live in couples, but I know he wanted company(ecspecially now that he's got a bigger enclosure) As I said, he had Nesrine(who sadly died :( ) and he was real happy then too...you just shouldn't house males together-like with pretty much animal. He was living on his own for a few months after I got him and a few months after Nesrine died...and you live in Sweden?!? That's cool! I know anoles are from more tropical places like Florida and Hawaii, so they can ship them to here(Ohio)without much trouble, they're small and not that hardy, so that's probably why you don't have as many there-the transport and they're pretty inexpensive, since they're small and common. What reptiles do you have there? Probably leos,beardies,snakes,and turtles I'm guessing o_O
    Also, thanks @geckolover22!! :)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spaceboy

you know what, I went in to a petstore I dont visit very often today and guess what? they had 3 baby anoles in a tank! Im tellin ya, cute overload :D I sooo wanted to buy them. Although, I don't know enough about their care and I don't have room at the moment...

I asked the shop keeper a bit about the anoles. Some of the things she told me sounded questionable, but maybe I'm just used to leos...She told me anoles live in small families in the wild so they rather live in female-couples in captivity. She showed me a pretty small terrarium when I asked what tank size they needed if I where to get 2 or 3. She told me they only grow up to be about 7 cm long wih the tail. And she recomended me not to buy them if I wanted a hand tame lizard, they're just the pretty-to-look-at kind of lizard. Is this true? I always imagined them as a hand tameable reptile!
    is any of this correct? :)

leos and beardies are the most common in pet stores here... along with small frogs, salamanders and snakes. and spiders!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  12. spaceboy

Oh and the reason why I am suspicious about the pet shop keepers knowledge is that its very limited in general here... I know that its the same in the states.. but on the biggest swedish reptile forum I read, to use an example, that leos are NOT hand tameable and just pretty to look at. my leo is tamer that a dog lol.

13. Eme Demiri

Eme Demiri Member

ahhh Love the 2nd pic!

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  14. Cammy

Cammy ReptileBoards Addict

Hmm, gonna just butt in here. =D Anoles are not social animals and they don't live in families in the wild. You can keep them in groups in captivity, though, as long as you have no more than one male and give them plenty of space. I wouldn't recommend smaller than a 20-29 gallon for a group of three.The more space you give them the more likely they are to tolerate each other. Even if you only have females, or have one male and a few females, there is still no guarantee that they will get along, so you'd have to be prepared to separate them if any signs of aggression or dominance occur. The pet store keeper cited a very small size. They actually get closer to 12-20cm with tail. The one thing she was definitely correct about, however, is that they are not a very hand tame pet. You can get some to tolerate handling, but most stay flighty their whole lives. You won't be able to get them out and interact with them regularly like you can with your leo, as they are liable to take off at the slightest startling.

We have a couple care guides here, btw: http://www.reptilerooms.com/index.php?categoryid=15

lizardgurl87 and Eme Demiri like this.
  15. spaceboy

lol i thought so. too bad they're not hand tameable though, I want pets that I can interact with rather than just look at :)

maybe I'll just keep saving up for a blue tongued skink... its my nr one dream reptile atm :D

lizardgurl87 likes this.
  16. lizardgurl87

As @Cammy said-they aren't hand-tamable at all really lol, I tried it at 1st sort of(even though I'd heard they weren't, but there are always people saying they are-which they can sorta be, but they don't like it at all)but, there's no chance at all with mine...maybe with babies since they're younger, but it's still not a good idea. Even when I had to transfer him to the new tank-it took me like an hour to catch him! It's cool that you saw them there though and got to see them in person! :) Generally pet shop people don't always know much-even more if it's just a job on the side that they're just in for money...it's just whatever their "training" is or whatever the pamphlets say, unless they really have experience and care. It's true a little of what she said still though-they get about that long only without tail! lol :p They are better as girl groups, but I already have Rhubarb and I'm not getting rid of him! He does ok with others though, he's not that aggresive and is mostly just lazy! It will be cool if you get a Blue-tongued skink too! They're my fave kind!(of skink at least lol) You'd need a big enclosure and all, but it'd be worth it! That's also funny how you heard leo's weren't hand-tamable! They're one of the most tamable reptiles!
    and @Eme Demiri-Thanks! :D I brought the camera to show my family at Thanksgiving and everyone loves it lol! Not everyone loved my pics of snakes though, but that's what they're missing out on!
    @Cammy-Thanks for helping with the info! I was busy the last few days and couldn't respond-definitely not as good as you did either! lol :p