Yawn? Why does my (RTB) open his mouth really wide?

Discussion in 'Boas' started by munkyboy, Nov 3, 2004.

1. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

I have noticed on many occations that my boa will seem to open his mouth wide (180 degree angle). I know they will do this after eating to stretch and reconfigure thier mouth. What about other times? Why do they do it? It happened a few nights ago while resting on my wife's shoulder. she was a little concerned, but there was no aggressive behavior. If anything, it seemed perfectly confortable before and after this. Is this yawning?, excercise?... :?:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Ed_r

Ed_r Member

could be a shed coming on, they do that to loosen the skin. Sometimes just for no apparent reason.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Does it do it quickly or does leave it's mouth gaping open for more than a minute or two at a time?
    If it sits with it's mouth gaping open for long periods of time it could be signs of other things.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

It is just for about 5 to 10 seconds every once in a while. I observe this maybe twice a week. He isn,t breathing through his mouth or wheezing. Nothing to indicate a respitory problem or anything as far as I can tell. Just seems to be stretching his muscles or something. He is young (27'' long) and growing fast (10'' in 4 months). Growing pains? Just curious. 8)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It's probably just what Ed described then.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. munkyboy

munkyboy New Member

I did raise humidity, as I thought it may be a shed myself. All that inspired was defication and eurates.LOL. It must be like you say. Just stretching, yawning, or just showing off.

12. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

I'd agree that it doesn't sound like anything troublesome. As long as there isn't any wheezing, mouth-breathing, or other obvious problems, then I wouldn't worry about it. But keep an eye out as always. If it increases or changes, then something may be wrong and may need a check by a vet.