Yay

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Dot, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Dot

Dot Embryo

Hi im new around here but anyway....

I just bought a (i think male) Baby Ball Python.....too freaking cute...

I have him in a 10 gallon tank right now but i plan on moving him into a 25 gallon next week....now heres a few questions

On the cool side of the tank the temp is lower than 60....should i be worried?
    also

i have a sun glow blub on him now....i read that BP are nocturnal so should i just put a night glow blub on continusly?

my UTH does not have a control and i felt it and it doesent get crazy burning hot so can i still put the UTH?

thanks for all help given in advance and great looking site...i hope to stay

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. shrap

shrap ReptileBoards Addict

1) Yes your cool side temps are too low. They need to be 75 to 80 degrees. Ideally 78 to 80.

Warm side needs to be 88-92.

2) Balls need a day night cycle. Whether that is accomplished via light on the tank or just a well lit room, it really does not matter.

3) All heating devices need to be hooked up to a thermostat. Just touching it does not give you an accurate reading on how hot it gets. You need to KNOW the temps your ball is kept at and you need to be able to control the temps. They only way to accomplish that is by using a thermostat on your heating devices and by using a quality digital thermometer to measure the temps.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Dot

Dot Embryo

the temps i gave were for humidity sorry for the mix up....

i plan on putting newspaper above the UTH that shold regulate the heat....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shrap

No, that wont regulate the heat.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Dot

Dot Embryo

well i have a 60w sun glow light bulb on the same side as the UTH.....what else could i do? im also buying a more acurate thermometor and a timer (for day and night) cycle.......

thanks for all your help shrap btw

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. shrap

You can get a thermostat for your heating devices to plug into. The thermostat will regulate the heat. Then use your thermometer to get accurate temps. Thermostats and thermometers are two different things... and both are needeed.

Always happy to help!! ;)

12. Dot

Dot Embryo

i found that the reason why my tank isent as warm as it should be getting with my UTH and bulb is due to the fact that my basement isent the warmest place...lol but im buying a stronger bulb watage as soon as i wake up tommarow.....right now i have a towel wrapped around angels tank to keep heat in

13. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

What kind of thermometer do you have? Anyway you can keep him somewhere other than the basement?

14. _Devastate_

_Devastate_ New Member

try covering the viv with a duvet cover and fold back the front during the day but keep all the other sides covered - boosted the heat by 15 degrees for me.