You know guys, I just realised something...

Discussion in 'Photos & Photography' started by Axe, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever actually posted any of my photos in here, heh. So, I'm going to make a point of doing it regularly from now on, heh.

Here's a few of our beardies to start you off :)

[​IMG]
    This is Sherbert. She has the most adorable face of any beardy we've ever seen.
    Nikon D100, Nikon 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 AF Lens, SB-50DX Flash bounced off ceiling.

[​IMG]
    This is Drei, one of the German imports. He was named Drei as he was the third largest of the imports, and as we all know, Drei is "three" in German. I took this one after he got a little spooked basking outside when a hawk flew over the house.
    Nikon D100, Nikon 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G-AF Lens, Natural Sunglight.

[​IMG]
    And this is Merlin in semi-shed. He has shed since this picture was taken, and I've got photos of it somewhere. I'll have to hunt them out and get them online. This guy is only a tad over 6 months old, and is already 412 grams and 21" long.
    Nikon D100, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D-AF Lens, Built-in flash diffused & SB-50DX bounced vertically off the ceiling.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kephy

kephy Moderator

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Just edited my post to include the shooting info.

Sherbert freaks out in the sun. Birds or no birds, she doesn't like being outdoors, extreme agoraphobia. Dayton used to be like that too, but now he loves it. Drei's not bothered any more either, he's just at that age where he doesn't like people touching him :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Awesome pics Axe!!! Especially that first one.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. kephy

kephy Moderator

Both my dragons seem uncomfortable when I take them outside, they get really, really dark. I think it's just overwhelming. I would like to get them a reptarium and let them be out more. They're both males, do you think it would be okay for them to take turns with the same reptarium, or should they each have their own?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

They could be cool taking turns one at a time in the reptarium, but for what reptariums cost these days, you might want to just pick up another one. We've got about a dozen reptariums at the moment. After each day out, we just throw them all in the washing machine and use Nolvasan on the frames.

If we start producing some babies next year though, we'll be buying at least a dozen more. Cheri and I are convinced that reptariums are the best things you can raise babies in. Especially given their preferred sleeping habits as youngsters. The vertical sleeping seems to aid in their digestion & circulation when they're young, and they just seem to grow into bigger healthier adults because of that early in their life.

12. kephy

kephy Moderator

I might just get one and see if they like it, and if they do I'll get another. Where do you buy yours, somewhere local*? And what's a good size and price on those?

*a local shop with local things!

13. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

14. kephy

kephy Moderator

Kinda small for an adult dragon, isn't it? But as a temporary cage for sunning it's ok?

15. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, for permanent housing it's way too small, but for going out in the sun for a couple of hours it's great - remember they can climb the sides too (and usually love to do so), so that effectively gives them more roaming area.

If you're looking at putting them out for longer durations of time, they prefer staying on the ground, or you just want to give them some more room, the 65G Reptarium should be good.

We use a 175g with 6 adult females in it when they're basking, and it's plenty of space - usually they're all piled up together, and occasionally one will wander off and climb a wall.

16. LotusE

LotusE Embryo

like the contrast of the first picture, very vivid colors. Did you use exposure compensation?

Cheers

LotusE

17. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Nope... the primary light source was the flash, and with it being relatively dark inside, the exposure was set to 1/60th of a second (the D100's default when flash is attached in dim light conditions). The aperture was at f/4.5 at the 75mm end of its range.

With the D-TTL flash (Nikon's DX range of Speedlight flashes), it will automatically adjust the flash's output to give the correct exposure (at least, that's the theory). That's why I-TTL flash was developed for the D2h/D70/D2x. D-TTL just didn't quite make the mark.

18. Dylacat

Dylacat Member

Axe...you gotta start posting more pics...these are all awesome. I love the pics of Sherbert and Merlin. And that one of Drei is funny. Mine reacts like that when she hears a bluejay...too funny.

Rebecca

19. LotusE

LotusE Embryo

very very nice, again love the colors and the contrast!