You never know what you'll stumble across!

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by KAOSRacing, Mar 11, 2006.

1. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

Just before noon I got called in to work and as I was leaving the back of my subdivision, the street was blocked by a truck dropping off a dumpster.

I looked at the house where the dumpster was being delivered and there was an empty 55 gallon aquarium in the front yard as well as two cracked 10 gallon tanks. I pulled into an empty driveway and asked someone what they were going to do with the 55 gallon tank.

Come to find out the tanks were left behind by the last person to rent the house when they moved out and the "land lord" was going to throw everything in the dumpster. I quickly loaded the 55 in the back of my car and brought it back to the house...work could wait a little longer.

After getting home and looking the tank over, it's in pretty good shape but I can tell that someone tried to re-seal the bottom. Doesn't matter if it holds water or not because it will be the new home for my two crested geckos once I've cleaned and disinfected it...and bought/made more "furniture" for the larger enclosure.

Moral of this story is always keep your eyes open...never know when a free enclosure will pop up!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. GTSC5R

GTSC5R New Member

RE: You never know what you

Very true, I just got a 37 gallon tall for some crested geckos for free as well as a 10 gal for a leo. Both were on the curb a block from where I live.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

That's really cool, I need to start looking harder. ;)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MAtt!123

MAtt!123 Member

That seems to good to be true!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. PythonPreacher

PythonPreacher New Member

My Ball Python enclousre is the equivalent of 130 gallons. I paid $7 for it (and another I haven't retro fitted yet). It was an display case that dollar general was getting rid of.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. CornyGuy

Wow, what a deal. That's like 90% off! Lol.

12. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

i have found like 10 good tanks in my development over the last 4 years every thing from a 5 gallon to a 39 gallon.
    It has been a great help! lol

13. CornyGuy

I REALLY REALLY need start looking harder.:)

14. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

Funniest part to my story is I needed to run errands that day but if I hadn't been called into work I would have left my subdivision via a different route and never seen the tank.

Nothing like a free 55 gal and 2 hrs. OT pay all in one day!

15. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

Unless you get paid $50 an hour it was worth it. lol