You think you want a reptile?

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by IronButterFly, Jul 8, 2004.

1. IronButterFly

IronButterFly New Member

After witnessing what happen at my local reptile shop I was just browsing online and came across Melissa Kaplan’s Herp Collection page. It’s one of those things you wish you had to give these people who bought this snake w/out knowing anything! Hopefully they were smart and took it to a vet. :x

http://www.anapsid.org/parent.html

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

One of the things that frustrates me about pet stores, even the "good" ones is that the bottom line is all too important and they well sell to anyone at all. Guess I wouldnt last long in the pet trade :p
    Whats even sadder is more times than not they could sell more product with the reptile if they took the time to educate the person buying it. For instance I have seen a beardie sold to a kid with a 10 gallon tank, a heat lamp, a piece of cage carpet, and a bag of crickets. No UV lamp, no food bowls, no water dish, no "How To" books, no supplements, no thermometers... I could go on on and on.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

It sure would be nice if more shops were like that.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Every time I read a post like this I realize how lucky I was in my first job at a petshop.

I'm pretty sure the Melissa Kaplan sheet was something I used to make potential herp adopters read before adopting from the shelter. Melissa Kaplan is great.

Sharon

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. coldbloodedkeeper

coldbloodedkeeper New Member

the petshop here is great one of the employees imparticular, takes time to work with all the animals and if you ask yto hold them hell let you, but he tells you what their personality is if they are agressive, what they like and dont like, ect...., its really nice they take very good care of their animals. i guess its one of the few,..its the first ive seen like that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. xfinaldreamz

xfinaldreamz New Member

My local pet store won't sell exotic reptiles to minors without a permit.

12. IronButterFly

IronButterFly New Member

Hey X do you ever sleep? :wink:

13. Sirch

Sirch Member

i dont think she does