Young Crestie and thinking of getting a friend

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by AnnaSta111, Jul 1, 2005.

1. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

Hi again all,
    I have a pretty young female who had losther tail. Well my son has fallen in love with her and wants more geckos..... Personally I have no issues with it :) We are thinking of getting another crested to keep in the same cage with her.... should I get one about the same size? Or does that really matter? I saw one at the store that was just beautiful and about the same size.... not sure if a male or a female, but the one we have is a female, so will be easy to place either in the cage with her. But I am concerned if I need to watch the sizing... will a bigger one bully a smaller one? We have one at the store that is MUCH larger then she is and I believe it is a male. I don't want to stress her out to much on adding a friend and there is MORE then enough room in the cage with her. Are they social creatures? Do they prefer to be with other cresteds? I know not to mix and match species... my son also wants leopard geckos, but that would be in a totally different habitat!!!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

-Yes, they have to been very close to the same size. And unless you plan on breeding them they should be same sex. Females can usually be sexed until 4-6 months of age.
    -You should never house two males together.
    -They do fine solo or in groups.
    -And if you plan on putting the new crestie in the same enclosure you will have to quarintine it for about 45-60 days so it won't transmit any diseases to the crestie you already have.

A word of caution:

Beware of collector frenzie, lots of people start off with one animal and then get hooked on the novelty rush and ,like addicts, add new animals to their collection. If you are set on that course you may end up with such a large collection that all your time will be spent on maintaining it, leaving little time to acutually observe and enjoy your animals. A side effect is that you may find yourself providing minimal standards of maintenance. You will be spending so much of your income and time buying more animals, cleaning and feeding them that you will no longer have time of money for teh little luxuuries that make a difference in their quality of life.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

Thank you for the warning.... Yea I understand how much work goes into all of this and never will I skimp on taking care of them! I have not had the one I have for very long.... but get hours of enjoyment just watching her!

No males for now... Maybe later on down the road when I have a full grasp on taking care of these guys would I think about breeding. For now.... not on my to do list :) So maybe one more female (small) and then work on the other habitat for 2 female leopards... *shrug* have not fully decided on that part yet. Thank you for your help!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Sobedrummer007

Sobedrummer007 New Member

Thats good. Just thought i should mention the warning. Can you post pics of your crestie?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. blazee

blazee New Member

Everything that sobedrummer said I belive is true they should be about the same size and they will need to be quarintined. Good luck with the leoprad gecko!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

I will work on getting some pictures for you.... Hard to do that since my camera is not the greatest. But will do my best ;) Either tonight or sometime over the weekend.

12. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

13. VAherper

VAherper Member

Very nice, im a big fan of the dark blackish geckos! Nice lookin lizard ya got there!
    -Richard

14. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

Thank you... Kinda partial to her myself ;) So what type is she called?

15. MintyHippo

MintyHippo Member

Anna yours looks like a dark fire man o man she's really beautiful!

16. VAherper

VAherper Member

im gonna go with choclate fire. Very nice lookin girl ya got there!
    -Richard

17. blazee

blazee New Member

Yeah I think shes a chocoloate fire too, really nice .

18. AnnaSta111

AnnaSta111 New Member

Cool thank you!! I found one that looks like a dalmation morph.... Think that will be her new friend for now :D Gonna get her this weekend will post pictures when I get her.