young crestie losing weight

Discussion in 'Rhacodactylus (Crested) Geckos' started by CycloneHWT, Oct 25, 2006.

1. CycloneHWT

CycloneHWT New Member

I got a crestie last week from a pet store and have been feeding him/her every other day a mixture of infant food and CGD. I rarely see him come out of his hide or eat but he will a eat a little of his mix if I spoon feed him.

He was 6 grams when I got him but today he was 4 grams. He doesnt look noticablely different and its 1/3 of his weight, so I would think it should be noticable. Which makes me think it might have been the dish not sitting right on the scale but I don't know

I check his temps with a tempgun and his enclosure is anywhere from 75-79 degrees depending on what I shoot.

Am I just expecting too much from him since he is new and needs to get acclimated to being here?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

What are you using to weigh him/her?.... how accurate is it?

A new arrival will spend more time hiding, and eat less, until they get use to the new environment...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Duel_Styx

Duel_Styx Member

I don't know about you but I'd be FREAKING by now about that parasite they can get.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CycloneHWT

CycloneHWT New Member

all reptiles can get parasites, im not gonna freak about that

...im using a digital food scale, but the dish is removable

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

If it's a kitchen type with a range ~5lbs, it wont be accurate measuring fractions of an ounce...
    Because of the small weights we're talking about, most use grams as the unit of measure...
    Jewelers scales are commonly used... 250g range (~8oz)...
    Using a kitchen scale, what you've seen as weight loss could just be scale error...
    Jewelers scales can be had cheap on eBay...

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. darknessheir

darknessheir New Member

yeah if its the cheap scale from walmart that is like 30bucks it only weights in 2 gram incriments. which mean that if it it 4.9 it is 4g and if it is 5.1 it will say 6g (i think) but you get the idea!

12. Duel_Styx

Duel_Styx Member

13. CycloneHWT

CycloneHWT New Member

thanks guys...he finally started coming out of the hide and I saw some feces today so i think he just needed time to adjust

14. Duel_Styx

Duel_Styx Member

That's good. I'm just paranoid. ^^