Young snake being defensive

Discussion in 'Other Colubrids' started by Taverlisk, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Taverlisk

Taverlisk Embryo

I have recently acquired cali king snake, at the moment the snake doesnt like being handled. Could you advise me how to get the snake used to being handled with out causing it too much distress. Thanks.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

You will probably stress it out anyway you try to handle. first off, when you first get it then it has to be left alone for a week to settle in. After that week you can handle it probably every 3 days or so for only about 15-20 minutes to start getting it used to being handled. If you are afraid of being bitten, buy a glove and you wont feel a thing. :3

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Taverlisk

Taverlisk Embryo

thanks for the advice shall give that a try.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. CornyGuy

CornyGuy Well-Known Member

You shouldn't even feel much without the glove. ;)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. reako45

reako45 Member

How old is your Cal King? My limited experience w/ them has shown them to be somewhere in the range of moody and docile. When agitated they tend to head butt w/ a closed-mouth strike. My baby '05 CB holbrooki (Speckled King) and my sub adult WC Cal King have done this. Just be patient. They're really cool snakes.

reako45

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Taverlisk

Taverlisk Embryo

Not exactlty sure how old, only months. It has tried biting a couple of times, but mostly just threatens to bite then tries to get away. It is a lovely snake.

12. garybingham

garybingham Member

my amel corn is like that as soon as you go to get him out he bites and wont stop lol but once hes out hes very calm and wont bite

13. Taverlisk

Taverlisk Embryo

At the moment i try putting my hand in there and just stroking as that doesnt seem to bother her so much, and occasionally try to pick her up. When i do she'll try to get away and get in a defensive striking position and rattle her tail !