Zilla Mini-clamp red lamp

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by ginnafer, May 23, 2009.

1. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

Would this put off enough heat, or is it too small? I plan on a 20 gal. long tank, the tank I really want is 25 gallons. Would this light work for either tank? This is the description.
    Zilla Mini-clamp Red LED Lamp for nocturnal reptiles
    Ideal for all reptile habitats, aquariums, terrariums and vivariums and paludariums.
    Red LED ,0.75 watt light for nightime viewing. Adjustable mini-goosneck design.
    Versatile mounting base and suction cups included.
    Ebay link
    It says its a LED lamp, is there a difference between the LED ones and an actual bulb? I know I've posted a bunch of questions, I just want to make sure I do everything right, and thank you all for your patience :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi ginnafer,
    Those lamps dont give off any heat at all, they are strictly for viewing at night. They are the same type of lamp you get on the front of your tv etc showing its switched on etc. only brighter.
    An LED is a Light Emitting Diode, they dont run direct off the mains, most are battery operated or through a transformer.
    If you need night heating then it's better to have a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) they give off no light at all and should be controlled with a thermostat, or you can use a heat mat stuck on side of tank near sleeping hide.
    All reptiles do far better with no light at night, same as in wild.
    Those lamps may be a cheaper option cash wise but do nothing other that provide a night light for viewing only. Dont waste your money on it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. ginnafer

ginnafer Member

Ok thanks! I'll check into the CHE, not sure if I'll need night heating just yet though.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. mango95

mango95 New Member

I know I'm posting this late but just in case a really good lamp is the flukers UVB Clamp lamp. The small one produces the perfect amount of heat for a 20-30 gallon tank and mi corn snake is fine with it!