Zoo Med Excavator Clay Burrowing Substrate

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by beardedchris, May 28, 2007.

1. beardedchris

beardedchris New Member

This looks good i might get it for my beardie as it will help him build burrows :D

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Daggerlover

Daggerlover Well-Known Member

Any loose substrate has a potential to cause impaction in dragons. Unless you're planning on feeding him in a different container - you may be putting your dragon at risk. Even if you are feeding in a different container, your dragon will lick it (they all do!).

Also, loose substrates tend to hold and breed bacteria really well. This can cause other complications in your dragon you'll want to be careful of. The reason is because loose substrates are harder to clean.

Ultimately - it's your choice, I just want you to be aware of any potential risk that may get involved.

Some people have part of their terrarium with a sandbox, so the dragon can dig. Perhaps you'd maybe want to try this?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

The Zoomed excavator has some promise as a substrate but we haven't had much feedback off of it yet so far. However, from what I have heard & talked to a few people about, it is moldable so you can make an area of the tank into a little cave area if you would like.
    You might want to think about trying it for a small area of your tank, where he may not go potty. As with any loose substrate it makes it harder to keep clean.
    I do think that it holds some promise of a decent substrate though if only just to put in a smaller portion of their tank so they can dig or you can make a moldable cave for them.
    Let us know how it goes.

Tracie

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. beardieman121

beardieman121 New Member

RE: Hello

You can use it you, just have to compact it. But when doing that it does make it harder to clean the cage.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bassteck76

bassteck76 New Member

RE: Hello

Some have said it works really well......it just really hard and heavy once cured.