Zoo-Med Leo Gecko Food??

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by cupcake, Oct 24, 2006.

1. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Hello,
    I was just wondering about this zoo-med leopard gecko food, my leos like it a lot, espically my male. they all still eat mealies like pigs, but i was just wondering if it was ok. They are small lab raised flies, with falavoring. Oh, and i stilll dust thier food w/ cal, d3 & vitamins. Here are some facts and ingredients...

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Crude Protein, min, 78.0%
    Crude Fat, min, 10.0%
    Crude Fiber, max, 13.0%
    Moisture content, max, 10.0%

Feeding instructions:
    Empty a small amount into your Leopard Gecko(s) food dish. Feed 4-5 times per week as needed. Slightly mist food with water (to reactivate natural flavoring) if your gecko does not eat after first day.

Ingredients:
    Small Laboratory-Raised Flies, Natural Flavoring, Vitamin Mix [Vitamin A, D3, E, B1, B6, B12 Supplements, Ascorbic Acid, Folic Acid, Niacin, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid. Minerals and Electrolytes, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Iodine (Kelp), Iron (Ferrous Fumarate), Magnesium Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Potassium Chloride.]

CUPCAKE :mrgreen:

ps: sorry 'bout the long post, wanted to give all the info

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

I'd worry about it having too much D3 in it. Otherwise I wouldn't see a problem with it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. cupcake

cupcake New Member

I only dust d3 once a week, sometimes 2 times, never more, they just those little zoo med flies, i dont know why, to me it smells kinda funny :mrgreen: LOL! it must smell good to them! :)

CUPCAKE

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. steve75

steve75 Well-Known Member

I only feed live, gutloaded feeders personally, but if your gecko likes it, you could go with it. Is it cheaper to feed him this way? Are you sure he's eating enough?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Saucy

Saucy Well-Known Member

You may only dust with D3 once a week, but the stuff has D3 in it already. I dunno... I'd wonder about it. And it's not cheap.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. LeoDee

LeoDee Well-Known Member

Yuck! Something about those smelly dried flies just grosses my leo out. I'm surprised yours will eat them! I worry about all the added vitamins and supplements, and whether they may interfere with your supplementation schedule. It just seems much healthier to feed live gutloaded insects over dried lab raised flies. How can you tell your geckos are getting enough to eat this way?

12. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I personally prefer to feed my leo's a better diet than dried, processed flies. Just like how I prefer fresh foods to canned, I'm sure they do as well. And I really don't know how well those flies were gutloaded before being killed, or how much nutrition they retain after being killed and canned. They claim a certain level, but they don't have to prove it or back up their claims. It's not like the labels on our food.
    It's really up to you. I'm picky about the food my girls get and want the best for them. I don't want to just give them something they'll eat, I want to give them the best possible food.

13. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Like i said, all of my geckos are still eating mealies like hogs, and i only offer a little bit in a 1" diamater bowl, so it is more of a treat than a substute for mealies... I mean they like it and all, but should i scrap it from thier diet?? I really only want the best for my geckos, and i will not be snooty about anybody telling me to get rid of it, seriously if it sounds like a bad idea i will definitly stop using it! :D

Thanks a Bunch! :mrgreen:

14. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I'd get rid of it. You have no control over what is in those dead insects and therefore no control over what your leos are eating. Again, I may just be too picky, but I like knowing exactly what my girls are getting. I'm more careful with their diet than my own!
    But I doubt there is any evidence proving they are safe or that they aren't. So it's really just up to what you're okay with and the risks your willing to take. Life is just a game a managing risks.

15. begunwithaletter

begunwithaletter Well-Known Member

I don't feed it directly to my leos, but I tried throwing a bit of it in with the gutload I used for my crickets, and the crickets loved it... I got it for free with one of the rescued leos I picked up, though, I'd never actually buy something like that for my leos.

16. cupcake

cupcake New Member

Thanks for everybodys input, and i think that i will cut it out of the diet, DaCubs makes a great point, and i agree about being certian on exactly what my leos are getting. i would hate for something to happen :cry: ,and not know exactly what, so i will remove it from the daily feeding selection, forever!

I appreicate all the input

17. PacMan26

PacMan26 New Member

i guess i will to... i have some in my take now... but i think my gecko doesn't even like it