Zoo meds can o products

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by UltimateFX, Mar 30, 2005.

1. UltimateFX

UltimateFX Member

Are the can o products any good like the can o worms or can o crickets?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

Most leos won't eat that stuff - they need moving prey. But IF you leo will eat it, I suppose it's ok for emergencies. But since you don't know how they've been gutloaded, if at all I personally wldn't consider them.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

That's a big NO ultimate. Not only do you not know what they ate before they died or however they get'em to be not alive, but they're not alive either. My leo won't even look at anything that does'nt move. if a cricket runs past her and she chases it across her tank and then it quits moving and just sits there, she'll walk off like it disappeared. wierd.. but yea, not good. don't invest in them

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

Adding to this I have found that the food is really hard and probably hard to digest.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Member

It really is muck in a can. Sometimes it's handy if you're mother in law is reptile sitting and doesn't like live food but only in emergencies. It's more expensive and if they get used to it they can go off live food.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Tokage

Tokage Member

i agree with all these state and nothing to say because every thing has been said

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

I'm sure they use preservatives aswell....

13. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

They have to use preservatives or it would go bad fast.

14. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

Umm, contrast to everyone saying "NO!" I used to feed my leopard Can 'o Mealworms and he loved them, I'd just use a straw and blow on the meal worm to make it look alive and he'd chew it up, it doesn't go bad as long as right after you open it, you refrigerate it and only have it out for like 10 min. or so, mine stayed fresh and it has some good stuff in it for leopard gecko health.

-Mike

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

We arent talking completely about the want to eat them, but the nutritional value of the insects. Do we know what it what it was fed prior to being killed? Do we know if they use preservatives or some other "bad" things?

16. BeardieGuy

BeardieGuy Member

Read the can :roll: it says all the nutritional facts and if its zoomed, I don't think they use preservatives, I know they vacuum seal the can, and as long as you refrigerate them they are fine.

-Mike