ZooMed cage carpet question

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by michaelcz, Feb 23, 2005.

1. michaelcz

michaelcz Embryo

I have had my leopard gecko for over 2 weeks now and hes doing great. The only problem i have is with my substrate. Its fine when hes walking on it, But he wont eat the mealworms out of the dish so i feed them to him everyday but putting one at a time in front of him. The problem is once and awhile it appears that his mouth gets caught on the carpet. I have zoomeds repti cage carpet. I was thinking that i could just put a paper towel when i feed him and he could eat off that. Is the carpet safe otherwise. Could u reccomend any other carpet i could use? Thanks for any help.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed New Member

In my experience, the only problems I've had with the carpet are the mealworms getting under folds if it doesn't fit right. There have been a couple occasions when Leo got her toenails caught, but nothing that she couldn't just walk out of. I'd go ahead and put the papertowel down when you're feeding though. You don't want him to hurt himself.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CODY

CODY Member

I have the same exact carpet and my leo got her mouth caught on the carpet a couple of times but know it doesnt happen because she has learned to aim a little higher to catch her food. It just takes a little time for them to get used to it, but the paper towel idea sounds good.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Leona&Amy

Leona&Amy Well-Known Member

What have you tried to get your leo to eat out the bowl? It was very simple to train my new 3+ year old leo to eat out of his bowl. I just teased him witha mealie till he crawled into the bowl. Then he realized there were mealies in there ans freaked out. Ever since that I just toss in a few mealies and he eats em up!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. michaelcz

michaelcz Embryo

Thanks for all the help, he ate off the paper towel today. Thanks again