ZOOMED canned bugs problem!!

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Lauryn, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Lauryn

Lauryn New Member

Many of you already read about my problems with ZooMed's Can'O'Pillars and how an expired can of these bugs made my beardy ill.

The pet store I work in receives deliveries of products twice a week, and since the 'bad bugs' incident, I've been checking each ZooMed 'bug' product carefully.

30 out of 30 of the received Can'O'Pillars have been expired.

But that isn't the worst part. These cans were tampered with. Each can's old expiration date of 'June 2006' was rubbed off and a new sticker or stamp was placed over top saying the product was good until November 2009! That's 3 YEARS past the original expiration date!

Most the 2006 dates were still visable, and if not, a blue smudge could be seen where the date was rubbed off.

I immediately called our supplier to report this and she said several other stores have reported the same thing, many of which had customers with sick animals due to eating these expired bugs.

I have contacted ZooMed directly again, though I haven't gotten a response.

I just wanted to warn everyone here to look at any 'Can'O'Bugs' you purchase from ZooMed.

If there's no expiration date, a blue smudge on the can, or a sticker date rather than stamped date on the can, DO NOT BUY IT. It's been tampered with.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Memphs7880

Memphs7880 New Member

RE: Beware!

thank you for the info...

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Lauryn

Lauryn New Member

Just an update.

I just received a reply from ZooMed. As expected, the representative claimed that their line of products was mismarked and new 'correct' dates were restamped.

I asked her why, if this was true, were only the expired cans marked with blue ink, while all the newer cans were marked with black ink. It seems to me that the blue ink was used a couple years ago. That proves the cans ARE older.

She couldn't give me an answer for this. She just offered to send me free products. I declined the offer. I'm afraid I no longer trust ZooMed's edible products. It just seems too fishy for me.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. wideglide

wideglide Well-Known Member

Here's a link to the original thread regarding the bugs.

http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumpost-301848.html#301848

The quote below was taken from that thread.

Then, just above, you say this in the quote below:

Either there was a misunderstanding somewhere or they have lied through their teeth. Can you call them on this Lauryn and see what kind of response they give? Does the stuff last that long or not? Do their employees not have much knowledge about their own products?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Lauryn

Lauryn New Member

Yes, I was still trying to make sense of all this myself.

The representative tried to tell me the canned products last forever and that the date was just printed to meet the standards of the law. Nothing lasts forever, especially not the bodies of dead bugs. And if that were to be true, then why did my beardy become ill after eating these expired bugs? That was something the representative wouldn't comment on.

I will bring that 'misunderstanding' in statements to their attention and see what kind of response I get.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spike8

spike8 New Member

im gonna check my locall petshop lol i dont want anyone elses beardie getting sick :D