ZooMed HygroTherm

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by jazee, Jul 25, 2008.

1. jazee

jazee Embryo

I just installed a ZooMed Hygrotherm. I'm only using the temperature control for my UTH on the bottom of my glass tank. I had previously been using a rheostat and just wanted peace of mind of automated temp adjustment.

I monitored the device for about 3 hours last night. It was set at 90 degrees and maintained that temp within a degree for the 3 hours period. I am using tile as a substrate and have the thermometer stuck to the tile in the middle of one half of the UTH (by the way it is a ZooMed UTH). It is summer of course and we have had sunny days which brings the bedroom temp where the tank is up in the late afternoon, usually to around high 70's to low 80's.

All this morning, I've notice the Hygrotherm is having trouble keeping the temp accurate. I had the temp set at 90 and I've walked in the room to find the thermometer reading 87!! A 1 or 2 degree swing isn't that big a deal but a 3 degree swing doesn't seem good to me as I think the device would turn off at 90 and then turn back on at 89 would make sense to me since the UTH warms up and cools down very slowly and takes a while for the temps in the tile to change.

I'm guessing it has to do with the room temp being at 71 this morn instead of around 80 last night. I'm guessing the Hygrotherm turns off at 90, and it takes a while before the tile dips below, by that time the UTH is pretty cool so it turns the UTH on but the tile continues to cool while waiting for the UTH to heat up again? Just a theory.

I want to make sure I don't have a defective unit and this is normal. What I've decided to do to try to mitigate the problem is up the heat setting from 90 to 92, as I don't want the surface temp dropping below 88 on the warm side of my tank. It can be as high as 95 for the Leopard Gecko, but 89-92 is optimal from what I've read (up to 95 is okay, below 88 is not okay). So now the tank shouldn't go over 92 during the day (hopefully) and if it swings down 3 degrees again it will bottom out at 89 instead of 87 (hopefully). I also set the night cool down to 1 degree so it will set the temp to 91 at night. But when we go back to short days and a cold house I think I'll just keep the temp set to a constant 92.

I still can't believe it allows a 3 degree temp swing. That doesn't seem right.

Is this not a good unit or is this typical?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. asiandude

asiandude New Member

I use a Repit Thermostat 500R and when it turn off.....the lowest it would go is about 87 and turn back on to 90 which I set it at. Seems fine to me and I don't touch it. A 3 degree temp drop is not a big deal.....look at mine...it might drop a little below 87 but I don't care...i works and my geck is fine.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jazee

jazee Embryo

Ya, I've been watching mine and most of the time the drop is 2 degrees. I just set the temp 1 degree higher than what I consider optimal, so I set it at 91 and figure it ends up averaging at 90 which I think is optimal for Leos based on what I've read and the fact the breeder, who's been breeding for 20 years keeps his from 90-95. A lot of things I read stated 88 was optimum and them sum stated 88 was minimum. I think the Leos are fairly versatile as far as adapting to temps. I imagine they'd have no problem anywhere between 85 and 95. Although I think once you go below 88 you might be risking slowly down their digestion a little but probably not a big deal.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. asiandude

asiandude New Member

I use to have a leo in a 10g with a UTH that si not control by anything. It seems to be fine for a couple of week than I upgrade the tank to 20L and UTH. I didn't reliaze that u need a thermostat b/c i saw video and they didn't mention thermostat so I never have one.

Once I read on here about it...I order one and check the temp with a digital thermometer. My unregulated UTH was making me leo hot (around 100 F) and it always seem to go hide in the humide hide to cool down.

Now it is okay staying under the UTH and is doing fine.

As for it temp. i keep mine at 90 F.