Zoomed's log hides-are they safe?

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by zemane, Jul 12, 2005.

1. zemane

zemane New Member

i tink im getting a zoomed log hide for my leo.does anyone know if they are made out of pine or any softwood?im waiting anxiously :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I'm pretty sure they are okay.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

I'm not sure if it's the soomed brand one or not, but I had a half log hide and after putting it in the oven to sterilize (like I do with all my wooden things), it started leaking out some sort of sap and had a smell (rather pleasant smell for me, but I didn't think it was ok for the leo)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. zemane

zemane New Member

ok guys thanks for the help! :mrgreen:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ecko_996

ecko_996 Member

Hide logs are fine just give it a little time after you bake it in the oven once the sap cools and hardens the smell will go. My leo loves hers she uses it to help her shed it works like a charm.

Bradon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Uro_wraith

Uro_wraith New Member

My Uro was sevearly burned from these logs. Now I love ZooMed products so don't get me wrong. The problem was the high basking temp re-melted the sap and she got sevearly burned. They are made of white pine. If you get one look them over for one with as few knots as possable. Also they have them now that are made from plastic so they are easily sterilized. You may also want to scrap the outer bark of the log to remove any loose pieces. By scraping it removes the thin parts that will come off in the enclosure. A wires brush works good for this also.

12. zemane

zemane New Member

ok,thanks,all of you!