zophoba eating wire!

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by spaceboy, Sep 12, 2008.

1. spaceboy

spaceboy Well-Known Member

Today when I woke up I fed sushi some zophobas. then when I looked at the thermometer the display thats supposed to show the heat of the ground, which is measured by a wire and probe, it just showed "H" and kept blinking and stuff... So I lifted the thermometer, and found a zobhoba by the wire, and he had chewed his way all the way into the copper cords! I don't know if he was stuck or something, and tried to chew his way through, I have never heart about a zophoba eating plastic. I'm just superglad I found him, so sushi didn't eat him, he could've gotten plastic poisoning! :) I'm gonna be allot more careful so no zophobas escape during feeding or when I have them in the food bowl....and i'm bying a new thermometer!
    has anyone else had any experiences like this?

here is a pic of the wire:

[​IMG]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. kelly_anne

kelly_anne New Member

What the heck is a zophoba?!?!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Keva

Keva New Member

Zophobas Morio = Superworm

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jack_gecko

jack_gecko New Member

jesus! thats serious. That could have been expensive if he had chewed your thermostat wire. Not to mention the risk of starting an electrical fire.
    Note to self... buy a mealworm bowl!!!

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. SilverSeven

SilverSeven New Member

They will eat ANYTHING.

Leave your hand in there long enough and its gone.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. spaceboy

yeah its effing sick..! I didn't even think their little jaws could chew through such hard plastic...

12. tkiller

tkiller New Member

Yeah, I've even heard of them chewing through the plastic bowls they come in sometimes. I mean I'd heard about it, but never actually seen it. But if they really can do that, chewing through the covering of a thermometer cord shouldn't be too tough for em. Good example for why it's a good idea to take out anything your leo doesn't eat I suppose. I had no idea their little jaws were that strong either, personally, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. They've always kinda creeped me out, lol.

13. spaceboy

yeah, I never touch em with my bare hands... I only use tweezers when I feed my leo!