1000 crickets!!

Discussion in 'Feeder Forum' started by Ryan1990, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Ryan1990

Ryan1990 Well-Known Member

Ok as my BD is getting through a tub a day of crickets (costing £2.20 a time :shock: lol!) i bought in bulk off the internet, 1000!! I bought 4th instart which are about 12mm a bit smaller than the usual size i feed him but it allows growth. But I am one of those people that do something with out thinking it through!! lol! So now I have 1000 crickets on the way and no tank for them!! lol I was thinking of buying a large plastic storage tub for them and follow one of the guides on here (adding ventilation and so on) but how big (roughly) will the tub have to be to store 1000 crickets.
    Thanks in advance

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sk888smooth

sk888smooth Member

You really should have some sort of lid, because crickets are escape artists! 1000 crix you can store in a 5 gallon tank. (I'm sure you can find a used one around for less than 10-15 pounds.

Kory

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Ryan1990

Yer the ones i would get would have alid den i would either put lots of littlle holes in or use mesh, but have found it hard to find some with holes small enough. Thanks for your reply

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Ryan1990

Well actually I have had no luck finding a rubber made tub big enough so am popping down to the petshop to buy a 5 - 10 gallon tank with my last £18 :) (hopefully it wont cost mor ethan that, if it does i'll be in debt with my parents lol) lol! My bday on friday though so will soon get some money back.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. crickets4sale

crickets4sale Embryo

For some pictures of suitable housing and instructions, you can visit: http://cricketsnorth.com/site/id4.html and a medium rubbermaid (38L) can hold roughly 2000 of your 1/2" size crickets (provided that you have enough cartons, etc for places to hide)

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Spot

Spot ReptileBoards Addict

If you're buying a tank, I'd get a 10 gallon if I were you. Get several egg crates in there and you shld be ok with a mesh lid.
    If you plan on making your own, window screening makes great vent covers. Just make sure that the screen is aluminum and not silicone. The crickets will chew thru the silicone and get out.

12. iloveherps

iloveherps Member

Just get one of those rubber made laundry tubs. They are like $4 at the store.(Don't know how many pounds that is though.) That is what i use for my 500 1in Crickets that i am breeding.