14+-year-old leo is ill/dying?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by sugarbeet, Jan 12, 2014.

1. sugarbeet

sugarbeet Embryo

I'm hoping someone has advice for us. This morning, I found my boyfriend's leo lying on her stomach on the cool side of her tank, eyes open and glassy, tongue protruding. She looked dead, quite honestly, but she moved when I touched her. We've got her on the warm side now and managed to get a few drops of water in her. Her breathing was very labored for about an hour, and she was yawning frequently, but she seems to be resting comfortably now, napping and grooming.

She's over 14; we're not sure how old she is exactly. She was an adult when he got her, and he's had her for nearly 14 years. She's been difficult to feed for most of this last year, and has refused all food for the last 5 days. She pooped yesterday, and it was entirely white and runny.

She's in a 20 gallon long with ReptiBark substrate (I think it's cypress or cedar, large chunks). The warm side is about 84F, with a UTH and a small heat lamp. She has a hide nearer the warm side, on the UTH but not under the lamp, and a water pan and moist spot on the cool side.

He feeds anything she'll agree to eat, which has lately been dusted superworms. Now and then she'd take a cricket. Everything is hand-fed since she won't chase anymore. It can actually take up to an hour to hand feed; she doesn't show much interest in food. Generally, if he danced it around enough, she'd take a worm or cricket eventually, but the past couple weeks he's lucky if he can get her to eat one worm every three or four days. She spits out slurry.

Any advice? So far, he's just tried to keep her comfortable and hydrated. The nearest exotics vet is over an hour away, and I'm honestly not sure if she'll survive the trip.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

She's an old girl. Though they do and can live for longer. 14 is still pretty up there in the numbers. What you two should do is take her to a Reptile vet near you for proper treatment. She could be having any number of health issues that just can't be cured through normal means. Mix the water with some plain flavored pedyalite to help rehydrate her. As for the trip itself it can be stressful. But its a chance you'd need to take if you want proper care.

Plastic container with a cheap heat pack at one side to give her some warmth (if its cold out), stack some paper towels in there so it cushions her at all sides. She'll probably hide in it. Hold her container steady and be on your way.

as for the warm side...if your talking about air temp thats fine. The floor temp should be 92 degree's. Cool side mid 70's is fine.

Try crickets more than supers. They are softer and easier to digest. Also try Phoenix worms (black soldier larva) they are high in protein and easy to digest also.

Cover the glass of the tank with a towel or sheet to block her view. It helps calm them down if there is a lot going on that could cause stress.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. sugarbeet

sugarbeet Embryo

Yeah, that's the air temp, I should have specified. Cool side air is 76.

She turned her nose up at the cricket I offered this morning, I'll try to find some phoenix worms today. Maybe the novelty will entice her. I left a couple crickets in there with her. She doesn't stalk, but now and then they wander close enough to her mouth that she might decide to take one. She's in the bedroom, so it's pretty dark and quiet, but I'll try a towel in case she still feels too exposed. She's being pretty good about licking up the water/pedialyte. We had some Ensure left over from the last slurry batch, and she's taken a few drops of that as well. Not the best, but I guess any calories are better than none.

Thank you for your help. I'm calling around to find a vet that deals with reptiles. If I could at least get them a stool sample that could rule out a few things. She's such a sweetheart

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. sugarbeet

sugarbeet Embryo

Unfortunately, she didn't make it to the vet appointment. She went downhill pretty fast this morning. We gave her a warm bath; she wasn't responding to water drops by then. She napped under the heat lamp for an hour or so, and then just stopped breathing around one in the afternoon. It seemed pretty peaceful. Thanks for your help, Godzillagecko.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Godzillagecko

Godzillagecko Member

Im really sorry to hear about your loss. I know she had a good home from what you said. And 14 years is a long time. You did a good job. As good of a job as anyone in your situation could do. It was just her time and it sounds like she did go peacefully. And not a problem, if you have any questions in the future just look me up.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. sugarbeet

sugarbeet Embryo

Thank you. Today's been pretty rough, for him especially, since he'd had her since he was 13. She was very sweet-natured and calm, and it was hard to watch her go, but I guess they don't live forever, do they?

It's too soon now, of course, but hopefully I'll need to ask questions again before too long. The house doesn't feel right without a lizard in it.