6 mo old beardie with hook worms...need advice asap!!! Thank

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bethb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bethb

bethb Member

First off...I copied and pasted from Cheri's page:

Personal History: Age 6 months, weight and length...dont remember.vet said normal for his age..sorry!
    From a breeder or Pet store ....from pet store who buys from a breeder of all lizards (mom and pop store)
    How long with you .....2 months
    Has he every been treated by a vet, for what and what meds ...to the vet yesterday, fecal showed hookworms...treating with .3cc panacur..100ml/mg...once a week for 3 weeks
    Basking or sleeping during the day.....now sleeping
    Is he going to the bathroomm how often ...less often due to lack of appetite
    Alone or with others .....alone
    Soaking or misting ....both...daily

Food: right now he only eats crickets..wont touch veggies..feeds twice a day...used to eat about a dozen a day...now maybe 2 or3
    Supplements: reptocal....3-4 times a week...along with gut loading crickets with dog food, oranges, kale, cheerios etc

Set up info: tank is 55 gal
    Temps - basking side 90-100...cool side 79-85 14 hrs a day of uva/uvb lighting, night time cool side will dip into the 70's
    Substrate ....sand
    Lights/heat: 2 week old bulbs...repti bulbs...red heat lamp

Ok now for my problem...if you are still reading.....Turk started to sleep much more..had to wake him one morning at 11am..not eating as much...so took a fecal sample on thurs (aug.3)...found hookworms...got him an appt yesterday (aug 5) Doc. weighed him,looked him over took his temp...everything was great...he said if i didnt tell him he wasnt eating and sleeping so much he would have never guessed. So I gave him his first dose .3cc of panacur yesterday...he swallowed it all down and now today at 3pm he is still sleeping! Why is he sleeping so much? and on the ground not up in his log basking? Im very worried about him....can anyone shed light? Should I take him to another vet? is this normal course in curing him of hookworms? maybe the meds and fighting them is taking it out of him? maybe the med is making him sick (no vomiting that I can see) Im gonna take him out and bath him now...keep him hydrated. Please any help would be wonderful......people think he is just a lizard but I have grown soooo attached to him! Thanks in advance!! Any other info need...please ask...but I think I got it all...lol
    Beth

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello,

Your set up doesn't sound too bad.
    The 55 gallon for a 6 month is fine, will need to upgrade to at least a 75 eventually.
    The basking temps should be a tad higher. Try 95-105 but no higher than 110!! The cool side needs to be a little cooler, 75-80. He wont need any night time heat unless it goes below 60 or so. Do you light on at night? If so, he wont need that. They need complete darkness for sleep cycles.
    What brand of UV do you have? Is it an ESU? If it is, it is worthless & not putting out any UV at all!
    We recommend reptisun 10.0, reptiglo 8.0, or mercury vapor lamps.
    I recommend taking him off of the sand immediately. That is probobly one reason that he has hookworms. Sand isn't very sanitary. Use shelf liner, paper towels, newspaper, or tiles.
    The meds will take a toll on his appetite as well as his overall mood. Keep with the daily baths, & keep him hydrated with water & pedialyte with a dropper or syringe.
    There is a product called acidophiliz. You can get it at the petstore as well. Make sure you get the non-dairy type because they can't digest dairy very well.
    Are you trying to handfeed silkworms or crickets? Try that first before resorting to syringe & or force feeding. That is the last thing to have to do. Try the handfeeding first.
    I think also, you probobly need another UV light as well.
    Let me know if you have any other questions...
    Tracie

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bethb

bethb Member

RE: Hello

Tracie.....thanks for the response...as far as the sand goes....everything that is put in his cage is microwaved or baked....so i dont think he got the hookworms from there.....but do you think all the sleeping is from him getting better? or worse?..not sure how long I should let this go on for....

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

Well, you can clean & disinfect things in the tank. The problem is with sand that the feces get on & inside of the sand, & you don't always get it all. He may ingest it unknowingly, & infect himself that way.
    The sleeping is from the meds taking such a toll on his system. If you make some of the changes I have suggested, that could perk him up.
    I would start on the redhydration first right now. Get some pedialyte & some acidophiliz which will get water into him & help his appetite as well.
    When did he start the meds?
    OH, do you supplement? How far from the UV can he get?
    If he doesn't start perking up soon, (a few days) you should get him back to the vet. However, start doing those things now, & get some food & water into his sytem. The meds tend to be hard on their bodies, & their kidneys.
    Tracie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bethb

bethb Member

ok.....unfortunately I just disinfected his tank last weekend before I knew he was sick..grrrrr I will do that again tomorrow. I addded another uvb/uva light that I had. I just put him back in his tank from his bath...he seemed to drink alot of water on his own..he was not up for hand feeding...I got him to eat 1 cricket. The bath did seem to perk him up a bit..we will see now that he is back in his tank...he is basking right now ..right under the heat lamp. I put 2 crickets with their back legs pulled off, in a dish with some peas and carrots...hopeing he will he something. Yes I do supplement the crickets with reptocal and my bulbs are reptiglow and are 2 weeks old. I will get the pedialyte later on today...but im just happy he drank and soaked for 30 minutes. He is now falling back to sleep under the heat lamp as I type this. Your words make me feel a little more comfortable...but I still dont like all this sleeping and inactivity. Thanks so much for all the info.....I will keep you guys posted!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bethb

bethb Member

ps....I have a very large piece of driftwood that doesnt fit into my oven....any ideas on how to disinfect it?????

12. Drache613

Hello

Hello,

I don't have any driftwood. You could bake it in the sun, that works really well. It will take a little while. Did you soak it in water, in hot water to kill anything? Then, you can bake it in the sun. Do you have anything else to put in his cage while you are baking it in the sun?
    Keep me posted on him. Definitely a good sign that he perked up some after soaking & he drank water. Like I said, those meds really dry them out so keep him hydrated or you will have real problems...the pedialyte will do wonders.
    As of now, he is worn out because his body is having to work so hard being on the meds so that is why he is sleeping so much. I hope I helped some. He should be fine, but if he doesn't perk up with more fluids & baths, you may want to call your vet or take him in.
    Did he eat anything yet? I am happy to hear your bulbs are good & new. At least he was basking for you. Are you using the repcal calcium with D3 5 times per week?
    Don't forget to get the acidophiliz because it will really help with his appetite. ;) I hope he feels better soon..
    Tracie

13. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie...yes I have another piece of drift wood that actually fits in my microwave...I will use that for now....hope its hot tomorrow..lol I went out for awhile and couldnt find him when I got home...I started to panic...but I found him in a little rock house that I have had in there for 2 months and he has never gone in it!....hes really acting strange! lololol He isnt eating much...I might try to wake him now and get him to eat something before bedtime....and yes I use reptical with d3..about 4 times a week...I will up that to 5 like you said. This acidophiliz....where can I get it...like at Pet Smart? You have helped alot just by reassuring me! My husband is to the point hes jealous!! lol Ive been so worried about the like guy! Thanks sooo much again and I will definitely keep you posted.....I notice too many times on these kind of sites...people have problems and never update....that drives me crazy...because if you have the same problem you never know the outcome!
    take care
    Beth

14. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

That is so hilarious he was hiding in that rock house! ;) That is good you had another piece of driftwood to use for him now until you get the other one sunbaked...
    Did he eat anything? Remember to not feed him within 2 hours of bedtime, unless you keep him warm for a couple of hours so he can digest his food properly.
    Yeah, if you aren't using a mercury vapor bulb then you need to use calcium with D3 5 times per week. You should be able to find the acidophiliz at most petstores. Remember, the non dairy type.
    Your husband is jealous? OH, poor baby. Ha, I am sure he understands though trying to get your baby all well.
    Yeah, sometimes it takes people a long time to update on things. I love to know the outcomes of things, as well.
    Talk soon.
    Tracie

15. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie....dont know if your tired of me yet...sorry ;) well I bathed him again...this time he didnt perk up as much...and I was only able to force feed him 1 more cricket...that makes 2 for today :) This is just as bad as kids! lol Sorry but he just has me worried...I know I have said this now a million times! I left some food in there for him and some fresh water...he didnt drink any at this bath.....how many times a day do you think I should be giving him a bath while hes on this med? He had his first dose yesterday and wont have the next one till sat.....
    thanks again for your patience! It means alot to me!
    Beth

16. superStud55

superStud55 New Member

one reason he could be sleeping as well is the light it sounds liek you have a large cage, and the brighter the cage the happier the dragon so make sure its bright but most prolly cuz of the meds. also im not sure if you mention any uv lighting do you have that on him? the willl perk up his appitite. oh and microwave definitly not effective. you need to put it in the oven for about 30 mins on 350. and washi it with hot hot hot water and let it dry. microwave will not get it all. and also likme traci mentioned, sand is no good when ever you get the chance get him off the sand asap.

17. bethb

bethb Member

thanks for the response superstud55.....I was sooooo happy today when I woke up this morning and Turk was also up...he seems, for now, to be back to his normal self! He is eating up dusted crix like there is no tomorrow! Whewwww As for the sand....it is recommended on this site....I think sand is one of those things that is still controversial. I bake my sand and it is silica free....Turk sleeps in the sand burrowed in about half way every night...like he would at home.....they are dessert animals and he seems quiet at home with it....I do screen it so there are no large pieces, no I guess Im not sure why the hesitancy.

Beth

18. superStud55

superStud55 New Member

Yes I know sand is the thing that everyone trips off of but at home thry live on rock its hard like stuff rarley sand this is at least what I have read from this sight but glad to hear he is happier now

19. bethb

bethb Member

thats funny that you mention rocks...I bought some river rocks when I set up his tank and disinfected them....they are scattered throughout his tank and I frequently find him laying on them...lol and thanks!!!

20. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

Oh, that is great that Turk is doing better. How much has he eaten today? I hope he continues to perk up & bask for you. Did you get the acidophiliz for him to help with his appetite?
    What type & brand of UV do you have? That is very important as well.
    Sorry most of us here on the forum just don't recommend sand. Keep in mind, yes, beardies are desert animals, but they don't live on sand. It is an entirely different scenario. They reside in Australia & New Guinea, originally. They live in semi-arid arboreal conditions. They do not live on sand, but hardened clay & dirt & rocky areas which more than likely means they probobly rarely ever suffer from impactions caused by ingesting sand.
    Sand is just not sanitary for many reasons. Even while you bake it, the bacteria will be killed for a little while, but if he goes to the bathroom on the sand, the liquid will seep into the sand, & will not be scooped out. It will sit in there & harbour bacteria over time. If he ingests any of it, he can infect himself.
    Alot of people will make a sandbox for them to play in, & maybe sleep in, but I am pretty sure that all of the moderators & more experienced people on this forum especially Cheri S will advocate no sand. There are so many horror stories about impactions from sand & loose substrates, it is sad.
    We just want the best for your beardie, really. So, don't think we are trying to gang up on you...we aren't. ;) We are just concerned owners.
    Anyway, please keep me posted on Turk today as to how he is feeling. How long will he be on meds for?
    Tracie

21. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie....thanks so much again for responding....he ate about 8-10 crix...and then fell asleep on his piece of drift wood under the heat lamp. He will get two more doses of this stuff a week apart...Im almost afraid to give it to him...lol....must be nasty stuff. He did poo last night and boy was it runny and smelly....Im hoping from all the dead hook worms. The uvb I have is either reptiglow or repti..something I cant remember and dont have the box. So how often you think I should be bathing him with this medication? and no I am headed out in a few and will get the acidophiliz....I will be keeping a close eye on his eating!
    thanks again
    beth

22. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

Great news...at least he is eating though, & so far, you aren't having to resort to syringe feeding. The acidophiliz should really help with everything too. It also helps to settle their tummies. I am sure the meds taste horrible!
    Yeah, runny & smelly. Those nasty hookworms. Was there any dried or fresh blood? Sometimes they have been known to cause that in their poo because it kind of tears the intestinal area because they attach to the lining. UGH! So, if you see something like that don't completely freak out.
    OK, as long as you have reptiglo or reptisun you should be fine. It is all current within 5 months? They should be replaced at least every 5 months or so, to maintain optimal UV output.
    Personally, I would bathe him daily to help keep his body hydrated. Along with the pedialyte, (a flavored type), & baths, that should keep him hydrated & his kidneys flushed out well. They soak up water through their vents, didn't know if you knew that or not. So, baths are a huge help to them.
    Good luck. I hope you found the acidophiliz without any hassle. Talk to you soon. Poor Turk, he must be worn out. ;)
    Tracie

23. bethb

bethb Member

Ok Tracie...I have funny stuff to tell ya....first off I totally disinfected his tank today...bought a new log, repti carpet and a hammock and bulb. Set up his tank with a play sand area, with a log seperating the carpet and sand...microwaved the sand till it was 200 degrees, 10% bleach and water for everything else! Whew..long day! (also did the res's tank too) Anyway, after I put Turk back in, he just watched me the rest of the day! To back up, I have been having trouble with handeling him (lots of running away, biting etc.) I went to give him a bath, he was so calm, never opened his mouth, climbed up on my arms several times....I kept putting him back in...lol Seems like he didnt want to leave me!!! finally!!! Anyway...might sound nuts...but Im wondering if me nursing him back to health gain his trust??? who knows but he seeems soooo much better....btw...they dont carry very many reptiglow or reptisuns around me....I didnt bump into a brand called all living things....dont know about that so I didnt buy it. but i did get a coiled zoo med uva/uvb temporarily till I can get what I want! Thank you soooo much for all your advice and caring. Oh I almost forgot....I set up a crix breeding bin today..as per this site...with the rubbermaid tub and screen.....keeping my fingers crossed!! lol
    thanks again
    bethb

24. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

How is Turk, he should be sleeping now...
    That is funny you were cleaning out his tank & all & he was running away & trying to bite you. Well, at least giving him a bath helped to calm him down. He probobly just hasn't felt good, so, nursing him back to health, he will remember that you helped him feel better & it will form a bond. Take advantage of this time with him. Nurse Beth to the rescue.. :)
    You did have a long long day, cleaning & rearranging. Good for you, making him a play sand area. I am proud of you. Does he like his new setup?
    So, are you going to order a reptisun 10.0 off of line? Can you take him out in the sun to perk him up as well? That natural sunlight will do him wonders too since that coiled bulb doesn't put out much. I understand that was all you could find, as long as you are upgrading soon. If you do take him outside, either let him sit on you, or get some type of leash for him & definitely don't put him in any type of glass container. He will overheat & could die. You can also mist him as well, while he is basking.
    I am so glad that he seems to be doing better. Keep up the great work. If you need any help with the cricket breeding, let me know. I have done tons of it!
    Talk to you soon.
    Tracie

25. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

Just be careful with the sand that he's not eating it...

I had an issue recently with Bella becoming slightly impacted, I was able to get her to pass the impaction myself but I immediately removed the sand, now I have flagstone that lines the bottom of her tank, I've been asked by people I know how I disinfected it, and this is a great idea if you have river rocks - put them in the diswasher :mrgreen:
    That's what I did with my rocks! washes, dries and disinfects all in one load and if loaded properly there is no risk to your diswasher either.