6 mo old beardie with hook worms...need advice asap!!! Thank

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by bethb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bethb

bethb Member

RE: Hello

Tracie...again thanks so much for all your support here...it means alot to me! I had to work today so I am freaking out cause I cant be with him at home...I gave him .6cc plus of water this am before I left and put him back on his hammock under his heat light...we will see when I get home....
    beth

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Drache613

Drache613 Well-Known Member

Hello

Hello Beth,
    I am sure all you are doing or were doing at work was worrying about your baby Turk!! :)
    How was he when you got home? It sounds like he is getting the best of care. I am sure he is extremely happy with his hammock & new UV light. Keep up with the fluids. How do his eyes look, nice & bright? How about his skin, is it nice & tight or loose? If it's loose, then, he may be a bit dehydrated. Are you bathing him daily as well?
    Talk to you when you get home. :)

Tracie

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. bethb

bethb Member

well tracie..you asked for it...lol I had a fight with my dad today(we work together in a family business)...rushed home to the store...bought pedialyte and some chx baby food...got home to turk....oh btw he was home with my 18 yrs old daughter who wont touch him....Im lucky I got her to spray him today......anyway..got all turks stuff together....meds etc....he drank .6cc of pedialyte...took his meds and then realized I overdosed him on the albon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I was in a panic! Called the vet...felt like an a$$....but they said he would be fine. I have two syringes at home...one for the panacur and one for the albon...thats how the mix up happened....well that and my bad day! Anyway...hes not doing well....just sleeps...and yes his skin is loose...but that was before I bathed him....I think I will do it again after dinner and more pedialyte. All I know is that he better live after all this...lol But I gotta keep in the back of my head that I am doing everything I can for him! Talk to ya again!
    Beth

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,
    Oh sorry what a bad day you had today! The family business is never ever easy, is it?
    That is good your daughter was at least home. She wont even touch poor little Turk?
    Yeah, the Albon wont kill him, but it will definitely dry him out more. I bet you were panicing big time. Sorry you had such a scare with that. You aren't giving pancur now, right? Maybe label the syringes or write on them with magic marker to help out.
    Are you still giving him acidophiliz to help with his tummy? Keep with the hydrating. I know it is work, but keep trying, & don't give up on him. I think with the syringe feeding to help him out & trying to get him to eat the worms or crickets by handfeeding, he will pull through for you. You are doing everything possible for him!! :)
    Talk to you soon. I hope your day is better tomorrow.
    Tracie

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie..what a horrible night! My b-day is sun. and I told my hubby all I want is for turk to pull through...like I said before..it might sound dramatic ( I do have 3 kids so things are in perspective for me) but I have grown soo attached to turk! I am now feeding him baby food (chicken) laced with calcium...and pedialyte...he wont even open his eyes..but he does lick his lips when I feed him the chicken..I guess he likes it! I am getting up extra early tom. to take care of him....I will make him pull through whether he likes it or not...lol and I am keepin up with the bathing...hes sees the vet next wed ..if he makes it! I am really anxious to see what he is like tom...its the first thing i do when i wake up

ttyl
    beth

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

Sorry you have had such a horrible time. I am hoping your birthday will bring little Turk good luck....
    Wow, 3 kids, & little Turk & a husband! (because we know that hubby's always need us.. :) )
    It is the meds that is making him so lethargic. Is he enjoying the food though, even though he is being syringe fed at the moment? Are you keeping him warm through the night? Don't let him get too cool. He needs to metabolize that medicine. Yes, it is amazing how unbelievably attached we can get to them, isn't it?
    How was he doing this morning? I am thinking about him. I hope he is feeling better soon!
    Talk to you soon.
    Tracie

12. bethb

bethb Member

Hey Tracie...well...he is still not perking up...he wont open his eyes but for a second...I did manage to get alot of baby food and pedialyte in him the last 12 or so hours. Yes I am keeping him warm...he just sleeps in his hammock right under the heat lamp all day! The vet said to keep the red heat light on at night too. He really seems to like the chicken...I let him lick it from the syringe..takes forever! The same with the pedialyte..but I am loosing hope that he is going to snap back...I have seen no change in 3 days...but Im not giving up until I know there is no hope anymore! Im just very sad. And yes I have alot...I work 4 days a week at the family business...3 kids..1 hubby...1 german shepherd (who is feeling very slighted lately..lol) 1 16 year old mixed breed dog....1 anole....3 turtles....1 african clawed frog....1 parakeet...1 hamster and finally 1 breeder bin for crix!!! Think Im stressed...lol Well gotta get back to work...thanks for asking....
    beth

13. gazza

gazza Member

hiya bethb, sorry to hear you little one is poorly, good luck.

My little man is poorly too, keeping fingers crossed for us both

14. bethb

bethb Member

ahhh...gazza...whats his problem?????

15. bethb

bethb Member

ahhh...gazza...whats his problem?????

16. gazza

gazza Member

there is a post on here with an update, he has already had one round of medications for coccadia (i think thats how u spell it)

called update on dracul again

17. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

Man, I thought I would read some good news tonight. Sorry. what a bummer. Turk still isn't perking up? OH don't give up though. I have a good feeling about him, he will pull through.
    How much chicken are you giving him? Are you doing several feedings per day? If possible, try to if you can. At least he is under his heat lamp though. Can you get his little mouth open to get more into it? Go from the side, because there is less chance he will choke like that.
    Keep his head covered at night if you are going to leave the red heat light on because that will disturb his sleep cycle.
    Use a green bean or carrot sliver to get his mouth open for the syringe. It is easy after you do it a few times. Once he gets more of it, he wont mind at all.
    Beth, you are doing super. I know he is going to get better soon. Drache sends hugs to Turk.
    Talk to you soon.
    Tracie

18. bethb

bethb Member

lol thanks Tracie...actually I have noticed a slight change in him from late this afternoon to tonight....I am hoping that is a good sign....He was actually looking at me a few times..I told him I was trying..lol Yes I am feeding him at least twice a day about .6cc of chicken mixed with his dusting powder and .6cc of pedialyte at each sitting...it was funny this afternoon ...he had a little pot belly going....When I bathed him he did poo which made me feel better..he is opening his eyes a little more often and moving around some on his own....he does still stay up on his hammock but that is closest to his heat lamp and uvb lamp....I have a good feeling about sat and sun...I think I will see a better improvement.....I will try to post some pics tom.....I was gonna do it tonight but my kiddies lost my adapter for now....will update tom.
    beth
    ps tell drache...thanks for the cyber hugs...turk needs them!!

19. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,
    Well, that is promising news....poor baby! I am sure that he knows that you are trying, & he appreciates it. Keep doing everything you are doing, the 2 feedings per day with the pedialyte. That is excellent. At least he went potty also, great! Ah, a little pot belly, huh? How cute is that? You may find that he will actually gain weight on the chicken babyfood. We have a leopard gecko that had a strange virus when we got him. We got him when he was 6 months old, & had been lost & running around the petstore for several months. He couldn't hold down food & we took him to the vets several times & medicated him. Nothing was working. He is a gerber gecko! He was on the babyfood for at least 6 months, & then, he just got better. He weighs 82 grams now, & is healthy.
    I know Turk is going to get better. At least he is getting heat & UV from his little hammock. Keep me posted. Yeah, when you find your adapter, pictures would be great. :)
    Talk to you soon.
    Tracie

20. bethb

bethb Member

Ok Tracie..heres the update...Turk seems to have really perked up today! He still sleeps when hes in his tank but I have had him out alot today! I took him outside twice for about 1/2 hour at a time....boy did he LOVE that!!!! I made sure I boosted him with some pedialyte when he came back in so he wouldnt dehydrate! I havent really taken him out much before he got sick, so it was a treat for him. He is being force feed a few crix a day and still the .6cc of chicken and pedialyte....he seems to really enjoy the chicken! His eyes are open more..the dark circles under his eyes seem to have gotten lighter....I think...just think we may have turned the corner!!! I have expended so much engery and time into him...its finally paying off. He was due for the panacur today....I decided to hold off! Hes been through enough and he will be going to the vet again on wed and they will do another fecal sample....if by chance they see any hookworms then I will resume the med....but I really think he never had them in the first place...and I got that impression from the vet and the tech...so Im going with my gut instinct here....he doesnt need anymore bad meds in his system messing with his health...obviously if I knew he had them I would give it to him...but I really suspect that was a wrong diagnosis. So thats it for now..tty soon!!
    Beth

21. ChristyBug

ChristyBug Member

We're all rooting for you and little Turk!!!!

22. bethb

bethb Member

lol thanks Christybug!!!! :)

23. Drache613

Hello

Hello Beth,

YAH!!!! That is great you got to take Turk outside, I bet he loved that! Well, at least he will get used to going outside because if you start him young, he will love going outside regularly. What a sweet little boy! :)
    Great job giving him the pedialyte when he came in, that was good thinking.
    Did he like the crickets much? He will get addicted to that chicken baby food though! That is ok, it will put some weight on him. The eyes brightening up & the circles starting to disappear are excellent signs that his kidneys are working well in metabolizing the meds & that they aren't taking as hard of a toll on him as they were at first. Plus, you are keeping him hydrated which is the MOST important thing you can do. I have to agree. If the 2nd vet said he didn't have hookworms at all, then, he doesn't need the panacur. He just has coccidia, not that they aren't horrible, but they aren't quite as bad on the intestines as the hookworms. Of course, they are hard to get rid of, but with proper cleaning & all & since you got rid of the sand, except for his play area, it should be fine. Try to potty train him eventually, to go outside of his cage, or even outside. It isn't that hard to do, really, plus, it is much more sanitary & he will probobly never get parasites again. Just wait until wednesday for the fecal & see how it goes.
    No, he doesn't need anymore meds for stuff he doesn't have. He is starting to get better, because of all of your hard work! Great job. I know he must be feeling so much better now. Keep me posted, for sure. :)
    Talk later.
    Tracie

24. bethb

bethb Member

Tracie...so far today is even better....he is trying to bite me when I go in the cage and running away from me! lol...back to his old self....He still sleeps more..but much better today!

25. bethb

bethb Member

Here are my pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]