6 MONTHS

Discussion in 'Iguanas' started by denise38, Aug 2, 2006.

1. denise38

denise38 New Member

Im very curious to get more feedback upon just reading a comment from someone that "ANY" UV bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months regardless cause the UV dissipates. I have not replaced the bulbs I use for my iguana in 2 1/2 years, they are good bulbs and are quit costly. I was always under the assumption that if it was on and working it was doing its job.........

so Im just hopeing to get some more comments from everyone.....

THANKS. ! :wink:

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

Well, if the light's on... it doesn't also mean that there is UVB output. To find this out, you need a solarmeter which will measure the output of UVB in your bulb. These can be quite costly however, but some places (my vet's office for one), will do equipment checks and test the output for you, often free of charge! You can always look into that.

I always replace my UVB bulbs every six months regardless if the lights haven't blown out yet or not. I don't want my little guys going with precious UVB! :)

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

I use mercury vapor bulb for my Ig, since (from what i've been reading) if the lights on, UVA/UVB is home!

he seems to like the Powersun UV bettern than the TRex model

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

Liquid, even MVB's should be replaced at least once a year, unless like Firecorcaigh stated, you have a meter that will accurately read the UVB output. Otherwise, it's just an expensive light!

~Michelle

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch New Member

yes, agreed, but at least they have a 1yr warranty on them, unlike a 6month tops life span from just a UVB Bulb..

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. denise38

denise38 New Member

well crude... Ill just make up and excuse to get the bulb changed out for a new one then since I have the reciept. HA....... or I could just pay $80 for a new one. :lol:

never really thought about it though cause my ig is so healthy, except for her spines which I have mentioned before... who knows, could be from lack of proper lighting, but were in arkansas and its hot and humid, she hangs outside for a good hour everyday, but its hard to tell.

thanks for all the feedback. ! keep it coming everyone. :p

12. Eirecorcaigh

Eirecorcaigh Well-Known Member

Why pay $80 when you can pay $39.95? :lol:

13. denise38

denise38 New Member

Well the T-Rex I get has heat, but also has UVA, not just UVB.

Hope Im not sounding dumb here, but all bulbs dont put out the uvA do they. ?

14. shortygirl

shortygirl Well-Known Member

UVA is "visible light". That's why you don't need to buy those "special UVA reptile bulbs" and ordinary household bulb will do just fine. The T-Rex is a great bulb! I have that & a MegaRay SB.

Just be sure your guy is at least 12" away (I think it has a penetration distance of 6 feet, so don't worry!).

~Michelle

15. denise38

denise38 New Member

yes.... 6 feet. ! and yes she is atleast 12" away..... ! thanks for responding

16. Roxsy

Roxsy Embryo

Well i use reptiglow uva/b bulbs for all my reps that need them and i change them at least every 6 months