A few Tegu questions...

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by Virginia, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Virginia

Virginia New Member

I've been reading up on Tegus a lot lately and will possibly get one in mid-summer, but before I decide I just wanted a few questions answered by some who have experience.
    How do you deal with their annual hibernation period? Like, what preparations do you make? And what do you suggest for inside and outdoor enclosures? Do you make them or order them? And what cage setup do you find they enjoy most?
    Thanks a lot guys!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. varanidfan

varanidfan New Member

if temperatures are provided most likely they will not go into brumation, usually brumation is allowed for breeding purpose only. If you are only keeping one as a pet, keep it the same year round, it might slow down some in the winter and burrow alot moer, eat less etc but that is all ok. I have never kept them outside due to the cold around here but inside i set the;m up in troughs with 12" cypress mulch substrate for burrowing. one or two good hotspots 100-115 a big water bowl, a hide box a log, and they are as happy as a pig in you know what.
    good luck

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Isn't that Burmating? Anyways...

I'm currently the owner of 1.2 Blue tegus and 1.1 albinos (1.1 blues will be arriving this tuesday!). Basicly you just let them hibernate. From time to time you will see them out basking and walking around. The rest of the time they are burried under the substrate! Usually when they go off to sleep they are hidden. Regardless of temperatures they will usually burmate. Reptiles can tell when it's cold outside, when it's going to rain and so on, so keeping the temps up won't exactly keep them from going to sleep. Some say it helps to keep temps up and food available, then again it doesn't always work. There aren't any preparations to make, just let it happen. I personally use 54" visions. They work great for blues but then again they are much smaller then B & W's and Reds. I bought 3 of them for a deal I couldn't pass up as he was getting out of the larger animals. I have a 3ft Piece of grape wood in my albinos enclosure. Although they enjoy it I don't always like it. Keep setups easy as plants and such will be destroyed. When the albinos grow up I'll be taking the grape wood out. Keep things simple...I think that's key. Personally I use 6-8 inches of substrate which is still plenty of depth for them to completely submerge about 2-4 inches. A hot spot of 105 is plenty (B & W's and Reds can take hotter). I use a large plastic dog bowl you can get at walmart which seems to work very nicely. My adult female doesn't have a hide box or log, she just burries into her substrate. They are a real joy to work with! I'm currently in search of another female albino! Then I may have to call it quits awhile. That is untill I find a platinum, or the snows prove out. Anyways good luck, you'll really enjoy them!!!

Cheers!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Thank you very much guys! I was concerned about the hibernation because I hear some Tegus die whilst hibernating because their food can ferment in their stomachs. Is it not that big of a concern I guess?
    Again, thanks!

And good luck with you're new Tegus JL!
    I was mostly considering the Arg. B & W, but now you've got me thinking about a blue! How much smaller are they than B&W's and about how much do baby males cost?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

I would be easy on the feeding if they are sleeping alot because I have also heard of that happening (rumor?), or just keep them temps right and you won't have a problem (that's what I do). Here is a link to a post of myself holding my adult female blue:
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/forumtopic-8642.html
    She is 3ft 2 inches which is average for adult female blues. This pair I purchased are both supposedly 3 1/2ft. Which would be normal for males and big for the female! Anyways they don't get huge, she's 6lbs. Really it's not a giant lizard, very manageable! They are MUCH smaller then B & W's which can get upwords of 10-15lbs (2-3X as big)!!! Baby B & W's go for $75 as they can be imported (which keeps the captive market down). Blues are ALL captive bred and generally sell for anywhere from 150-200. I maybe producing my own blues this season! The person I bought my blues from has 16eggs so who knows....I'd be more then happy to hook you 2 up when she hatches some little ones out (If I don't do it first LOL). Anyways...there is some more info...you want more????!!!! Keep it comming!!!!!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. Virginia

Virginia New Member

She is gorgeous! And that's still a hefty size, and the price isn't bad...I'm definately leaning toward a blue now! Thank you very much for the info! Any other info you can give me will be much appreciated!!!!

12. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

Virgina Please check out my web site! You will find more information on them there then anywhere else on the net!!!

www.jlexotics.thetegu.com (captive husbandry selection)

They still get decent sized....but still not a B & W or Red...I may have some little ones available this season....I'll have to wait and see how it goes!!!

13. Virginia

Virginia New Member

Whoa! Awesome site! Very informative! Seriously, thanks a bunch JL! You've rrrrrrrreally helped me out!

14. JLExotics

JLExotics New Member

n/p that's what I'm here for. Let me know if I can be of any more help!