A "Step Up" from a Ball Python?

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by Crazy4Herps, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Crazy4Herps

Crazy4Herps Hooked on Reptiles

I have researched so many different snake species, though in experiance I am still a beginner, my only snake being my ball python I've had for 9mo.

I really want a new snake! My #1 choice would without doubt be a red tail or columbian boa, but I'm not allowed to have such a big snake... family stuff.

I've been considering a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, and they sound ideal for me, though they are perhaps above my price range. :D And I'd like to keep open-minded about this.

Then I was really really really really into Blood and Borneo Pythons. That is still a major possibility.

My conditions (sorry, I have a lot, but there are lots of people around my house and I have limited space, money, etc):
    -Under 5.5ft (not my rule, I'm dying for a big snake) (meaning I'd probably get a male of whatever species I choose)
    -Could live in a bin with a max of 8 sq. feet of floorspace and as much height as needed. OR, could live in a small (40 gallon max) glass tank.
    -Under $300 ($300 would be very hard to pull off. However, please mention snakes above this price, though it probably wouldn't be a possibility)
    -Captive bred (cannot emphasize enough)
    -Somewhat tame (I'm find with nippy hatchlings, but I don't want any serious injuries) (no more aggressive than a Blood Python)
    -Pretty easy to care for. No more than five minutes daily, handling not included.
    -Handle-able. I will handle all of my reptiles every day (with shedding/after-eating exceptions of course)

Maybe a carpet python? What do you guys think?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

this is hard, blood python can go for 8ft, for female, and 6ft for male, and i've told you that they're incredibly strong,, so i didnt really suggest u to have that thing,, btw are u female/male? age?

a carpet python is a good idea, or maybe childrens python that goes for max of 4foot.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Crazy4Herps

Why should my gender matter? And I am old enough to take care of reptiles. I am 5'2".

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

Time out here. I am not taking anyone's side, just trying to keep the peace. I don't think teiryklav meant anything as sexist as it sounded. First, think of the cultural differences here. His personal opinion aside, the way he expresses himself is biased by where he is from. What is perfectly acceptable for him is not necessarily for you. Without putting words in his mouth, I strongly doubt it's personal.

Next, whatever your gender, or age, SOME snakes when fully grown are too powerful for a 5'2" frame, if you are alone with it. I am making assumptions here, but I assume he thinks you are a female because of your size. In general, a 5' male would probably have more core strength than a 5' female. Not in every case, sure, but in general terms. That said, experience with herps makes up for a lot of need for strength - and that is where I think he could be mistaken in his assumption.

The fact is, short tailed pythons, whether blood, or many of the others, are extremely thick, heavy, and more powerful than even some much longer breeds. I think teiryklav was making a good point, and only looking out for you, even if he expressed it in a way you didn't like. His point is something to consider, but not a deal breaker depending on the other factors.

Ding, ding, ding, now that the point was made devoid of any offensive inflection, come out fighting. (Please don't take any offense. I was trying to add some humor to lighten this up some.)

Jeff

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Crazy4Herps

Yeah, sorry, I guess I sounded kind of rude. I pretty much didn't sleep last night, so I'm not in the best of moods today. Forget I said that.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. adamm

adamm Embryo

There are a few good choices you may like.
    Hog Island Boa- 5-6 feet
    Jungle Carpet and Iran Jaya Carpet Pythons- 5-6 feet.
    Amazon Tree Boa- 6 feet. Yes some are mean and some are not. Both mine are so-so but neither are mean. Another thing about arboreals is they are mostly look don't touch, or as little as possible.
    Dwarf Boa's- Sand and Rosy Boa- 3-4 feet.
    All the snakes I've mentioned require a small amount of time per day if you only have 1. Although once a week you will want to do a full cage cleaning as to prevent mold build up and stench.

12. Crazy4Herps

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've gotten into the routine of weekend cage-cleanings, so that shouldn't be a prob.

Wow, you have an impressive collection yourself!

13. bruno

bruno Moderator

I dont want to sound harsh here but in view of your previous posts and the problems you have had with the BP, I strongly suggest you are not yet ready to get another snake.
    From what you have said, there has been enough problems with getting the BP, family etc.

Having said that, if you really do want another snake then the suggestions made by other are good.
    Any snake can turn out "nippy" or even nasty regardless of species. Even if they are small but chunky they can still inflict a lot damage if they so wish.
    Putting a time limit on the daily routine is not really an option, you do what is required.
    Does the price include setup as well as snake, bearing in mind the extra cost in electric for heating/lighting/feeding etc, can you afford to pay your parents for it, if they ask you to.

My advice to you, and I mean this in a nice way to prevent heartache and disappointment, is wait till you have had at least 2 years experience before you consider getting anymore reptiles.
    I'm not being nasty, just practical.

14. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

I agree with bruno here. You have had problems with shedding and such with a ball pyhton... they are some of the easest snakes to care for. I would hold off a bit longer on getting another snake untill you have figured out every thing with the ball python first.
    Its in the animals best interest here.

So a quick example, ME. when I first got in to snakes I got a rough green, a hardy and easy to care for snake, after a few months of having it I wanted another snake and started to look around. But I was haveing a few shedding and feeding problems. Being very new to snakes I could not figure out why/ what was the problem. After another few months that snake died from a respirtory infection, I learned that I was keeping the tank to cool and the humidity was too low.
    After that insident I stayed off of reptiles for almost a year learning every thing I could on husbandry. I found a snake I liked, a ball pyhton, and then I focasd all my attention on how to care for one. I researched ball pyhtons for two maby three months straite. than I got my second snake of my life at age 12 (the snake was about a year old), My first bp is now 19 years old and still doing very well.

15. Crazy4Herps

To bruno and jeepnphreak:

You are both very right, and completely understand where you are coming from. I have had a number of pets when I was very young that were not well cared for and got sick. I deeply regret that and am putting all of my effort into making sure the pets I own are as healthy as a human can keep them. In my own defense, I did 12 months of thorough research on ball pythons before I got mine and I have never skipped a needed cage cleaning or feeding, even when I am very sick. For my beardie, I did four months of research. All of my freetime was spent reading books, online care sheets, and other people's experiances. If I do decide to get another snake I would read everything I could find online about the species.

To add to your constructive criticism, I have a lot going on in my life right now, though I have made sure I have at least 2 hours of undivided attention during my day for my reptiles. Anyways, when I get the bearded dragon and possibly geckos, I will be very busy. In the interest of my education (as I always put my pets first), I agree that another snake may not be the best choice, at least for the next few years.

However, I spend most of my time fantasizing about snakes; even if I have to wait years to get another, I will thoroughly enjoy reading in preparation for future pets, so keep the suggestions coming!

Thank you.

Crazy4Herps

16. bruno

bruno Moderator

Hi Crazy4herps,
    I'm very pleased you are heeding our advice, I have no wish to dampen your desire to keep many reptiles.
    I started 16 years ago with just one cornsnake and that progessed to 25 reps in the space of 6 years but I was lucky in the fact I had no-one else to consider and no opposition as I am single.
    I had good finances and the time so it was easy for me.
    I have converted the figures into dollars but here is an approximate run down.
    Over the 16 year period.
    Food.......$18,000
    Vet bills...$6000
    Equipment....$30,000 at least
    I havn't dared work out the cost in electric bills but at one time it was costing $300 a month.
    Fortunately, I did breed the corns and boas which did help offset the costs when I sold the babies.
    Reptiles need alot more cash and attention than the average dog/cat etc.
    I hope the new beardie works out OK and your BP continues to be in good health.

Hey, we can all dream.

Bruno

17. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

FWIW, here is another good info sheet on the Borneo:

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/reptile...es/snk2849.html

The more I read on them, the less I'd recommend it. I know, you already said you were going to wait. It's beautiful, but can be bitey. I know you said bites don't matter, but there comes a point where it is no longer fun, and the snake ends up becoming a piece of furniture. Especially a very thick snake. It can get downright scary getting bit by something large and powerful. At some point it HAS to be handled, for cage cleaning at least.

I know most of my input is redundant and moot at this point, but thought I'd add my 2 cents while it was on my mind, after reading the link.

Jeff

18. Crazy4Herps

Wow, that is a lot of $$! I know what you mean with the electricity bills, too. A lot.

The beardie is here and settling in very nicely, thank you, and Cu is doing great.

Thanks everybody!

19. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

oh sory i didnt read the snake forum for a long time except for the boa, because i'm considerng about having some lizard haha..
    herps i'm really sorry about what i said before, i didnt mean to do that. not from size, or age or gender. i myself doesnt consider myself to keep that snake even thats my number 1 snake list.

i just said that because from the first post, u said that your family dont let you keep a red tail, thats because they care for u and they're own family (i mean yours too). i can say that python have a very bad tempramental than boa, and some have more strength than a boa. so i'm just worried,,

whatever it is im not asking for anymore problem, im sorry.
    thx. :) :p

are you still considering of getting any snake?

20. Crazy4Herps

It's ok. I'm sorry I lost my temper, I was really short on sleep and had a long day.

For a while, I was set on a Blood Python. Now I'm leaning towards a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

21. DaKing25

DaKing25 New Member

Just to add in but if your getting a new pet it should not be that your bored with your old pet but you have better reasons. This is a major cause of neglect of the "old" animal. Just be sure that you can balance the care of both snakes and offer them the best care and attention. Not to be mean or anything but just wanted to bring this up after reading your first post "I've had for 9mo"

22. Crazy4Herps

No offense taken. Anyways, that was not my intent at all. I love Cu to bits and would do anything for her. In fact, I love her so much and have had such good times with her, why not double the fun? I do handle her every day (and will continue to for the rest of her life), except while in shed, while eating (24hr before and after), and I reduce handling a lot when she's fasting. Then of course on the rare occasion I don't get home until late.

Anyways, I will stay up till all hours of the morning to make sure my pets are happy and healthy. I honestly will find time for caring and handling all of my reptiles every day.

Thanks for the concern. You made a very good point.

23. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

still thingking of brazilian??
    i've heard better about central american dwarf boa. 6 feet max, but if you have taken your choice, thats ok.
    :p

24. Crazy4Herps

I'm still thinking... anyways, if I'm going to get a boa, I'm going to wait because its breeding season now and there aren't many available.