Adeno Virus in Bearded Dragons

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by CheriS, Jul 19, 2002.

1. CheriS

CheriS Is well known here

PLEASE READ RELATED TOPIC: SYMPTOMS OF THE ADENOVIRUS
    http://www.reptilerooms.com/modules.php?op...ewthread&tid=74

Personally I think that breeders and buyers of beardies need to know that this is emerging more often in their population and I imagine I will catch hell on here for panicking people, but I feel at this point, there is enough positve tests to bring this to everyones attention. I think we have hidden in email long enough and this needs to be said.

For months, several of us have been talking and contacting people that are losing dragons, especially whole clutches, when all enviromental and dietary needs are met. Several now have had test done with their local vets and sent to pathologist and most have come back positive for the adenovirus. I know two others that have had positive test that are not on any of these forums. One of our dragon's did and we suspect another that we lost last december that was with him also had it and may have given it to him.

We also know where at least three of these dragons came from. I am not going to name a Breeder until he is advised by the owners that the dragon's were tested and are postive. One other person has 45 babies and they all test positive, the parents of these babies came from the same breeder and several are awaiting test results.

PLEASE, if your buying a dragon, ask the dealer outright if he has lost babies or is aware of any adenovirus in his breeders or their offspring. If you see a breeder selling off stock, especially adults, ask in writting that he guarantee that they are healthy and he has no knowledge of this virus in this adults OR THEIR OFFSPRING.

Another beardie owner has made me aware that this weekend, there is a show in St Louis where a Vet is talking specifically about this emerging virus and she is trying to get a copy of his speech and hopefully can share it.

I don't want to panic people, but losing a beardie to this is very hard, fighting it is very expensive and the animals suffer so much. The only way to control this is for the people who this traces to, to stop breeding/selling the offsping immediately and to not breed the adults that carry it, even ones that seem healthy carry and can pass it to offspring.

We have also been told that there now is a test that can test for this in the feces, prior to this test which Ii have not seen yet, the only way to find it was in a necropsy and very expensive, as well as requiring the animal to be deceased.

We will keep you updated.

[Edited on 20/7/2002 by CheriS]

[Edited on 21/7/2002 by CheriS]

[Edited on 20/1/2003 by CheriS]

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

The count of reptiles known to have the adeno virus, and are tracable back to their original breeder is now up to at least TEN!

Everybody, please, share any and all information you have on this serious and devastating epidemic.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. CheriS

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. pastleyellowleo

pastleyellowleo New Member

is this disease common in reptiles???:cool:

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

In bearded dragons it is becoming more and more common. The adenovirus is species specific, so it can't (as far as we currently know) jump from, say, a bearded dragon to a leopard gecko and infect the leo. However, contact between the two could cause the leo to become a carrier, even if it's immune to the actual virus. Then, if that leo comes into contact with another dragon, it can pass it on and infect that dragon.

But, no, whilst other species can carry it (just as it can be passed from one dragon to another via handling by humans), the bearded dragon adenovirus only attacks bearded dragons.

That said, there are other forms of the adenovirus specific to other reptiles (some species of crocs, snakes, and some other lizards). There also exists forms of the virus in chickens, and other birds, and there are human forms of it.

But, the bearded dragon adenovirus, again, as far as we know, is specific to bearded dragons and its relatives (Rankin's Dragons, etc.).

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. thehat

thehat Embryo

I'm planning on going to the St. Louis show this weekend. I haven't heard about the vet speaker. Do you know when he is scheduled to talk cuz I'd like to be there?

12. CheriS

Sorry, it was not at the st. louis show, it was a conference held for medical people and members of the herpetogical societies that was in st louis:

26th International Herpetological Symposium

The St. Louis Zoo, St. Louis Herpetological Society, and the International Herpetological Symposium Inc.

[Edité le 3/11/2002 par CheriS]