alligators and petshops

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by leos@beardys, Jul 26, 2005.

1. leos@beardys

leos@beardys Embryo

In pensacola there's a petshop called, Barnys Pet World. When I was in there I noticed two baby alligators, they weren't for sale, but I didn't think you could get permits to keep alligators. So are they illegal?
    Andrew

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. LadyCham

LadyCham New Member

I don't really know but definely seen them as pets

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Blinga04

Blinga04 Well-Known Member

probably weren't alligators.. i live in TN and there is a shop called The Aquatic Critter, and they have SEVERAL 4' camans in a cage that stretches half the store.. they aren't for sale either, they're freakin cool to watch though, especially at feeding time!!! haha

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bratspets

bratspets Member

For the State of Florida:

"A person may obtain permits authorizing the taking or possession of wildlife or freshwater fish or their nests or eggs for scientific, educational, exhibition, propagation, management or other justifiable purposes.2

"An alligator farm permit may be issued to any person who has not committed any crime relating to the illegal taking of a crocodilian species; certain standards are established for breeding facilities, which must be open to inspection. Annual Fee $250.00.3"

http://www.api4animals.org/1307.htm

You could research or ask to see if Barney's Pet World has a permit to keep the alligators on display.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

If is possible to get alligator permits in Florida.

bratspets: If they have a class 3 permit (which they would have to have for any exotic species - yup, including hamsters & goldfish, heh), then they have the permit to keep gators on display in the store, as that's exactly what a class 3 permit is; a license to sell & exhibit exotics.

As far as keeping them as pets (not for resale), a friend of mine (here in Florida) is applying for his crocodilian permits right now, so I'll see if I can get all the details off him.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. bratspets

bratspets Member

Does the class 3 permit cover native species in Florida, Axe?

I believe the pet shops here in Virginia cannot sell native species, however, some that are purchased from other states are ok (such as RES and Painted Turtles), as long as it is not an endangered or threatened species.

"The alligators are not an endangered species but they are legally protected.
    They are classified as a threatened species because of their similarity in appearance to the American Crocodile, an endangered species."

http://agrigator.ifas.ufl.edu/gators/

12. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

You know what, I'm gonna call fish & game to get clarification on the native vs. exotics coverage on the class 3. And what exactly do they define as "exotic"... Just non-natives to Florida? or non-natives to the USA? Because the American gator is native to Florida and the US.

13. leos@beardys

leos@beardys Embryo

On the same subject. I offer a free reptile removal service in Pensacola. To try and save snakes from meeting the "hoe or shovel."
    I had someone call me, who said they had a alligator baby in there backyard. I went and looked around but I couldn't find it. Anyway, afterwords I realised if I had captured it, would I have been breaking some law? I have a "Nuisance Wildlife Removal Permit" I don't know if that includes gators or not?
    I just don't want to get in trouble or anything.
    Leos@beardys

14. bratspets

bratspets Member

Your permit probably covers you, but you may want to check with the state regarding what you can legally and/or should do with them after capture, ie, do you keep them, sell them, release them, kill them etc. If you release them, there may be an issue about WHERE they should go.

A similar service in Orlando says this:

"Nuisance Concerns: Alligators are considered a nuisance due to the potential danger they pose to pets or even children wandering near or swimming in Florida waters. Nobody wants an alligator taking up residence in their private pond or worse, swimming pool!"

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/others.htm#alligator

Since they offer similar services, they may be a good place to contact for info. They have a directory of people that do what you do all over the states:

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professiona...lifecontrol.htm

Or you could call your local county animal control, too.

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professiona...L-Pensacola.htm

Here's a story from the above site:

"Pensacola, FL Wildlife News Clip:

Wildlife - Caiman Takes Dip In Fla. Pool
    A South Florida homeowner found something unusual splashing around in his swimming pool Tuesday. Florida has an abundance of wildlife, and Pensacola is no exception.

Denny Lott returned home Tuesday night after power was restored to his house. He said when he turned on the pool pump, he found a creepy-crawly surprise. Although several species of wildlife roam Pensacola, only a few, such as raccoons and squirrels, are considered pest wildlife.

"When I turned on the pool pump, I heard a splash, and I saw what I thought was an iguana. But, when I turned off the pump, I saw a gator going into the pool," Lowe said. Florida has many reptiles, and it’s important to be able to identify Pensacola snake species and mammals.

The creature was later identified as a caiman, an animal that resembles the more familiar alligators. Escambia Animal Control managed to capture the feisty caiman. Wildlife officers will determine whether the animal will be returned to its owner. Remember to treat the wild animals of Pensacola, Florida, with respect and care."

15. Axe

Axe Well-Known Member

Generally, if you come across a nuisance gator in Florida, you should call Florida Fish & Game. I'm not sure if the "Nuisance Wildlife Removal Permit" would cover this - as they are a protected species.

The Caiman, on the other hand, is not. They're not native to Florida, they've been introduced (escaped/released pets, etc). So, they really have no protection here. I do believe, however, that you need a Class 2 Crocodilian permit to have these animals in your possession (even if just for temporary relocation) - this permit has similar requirements to FL Venomous permits; 1000 hours experience, references, etc.

That's my understanding at the moment, but the Florida Fissh & Game guys are always at the Tampa, Orlando & Daytona shows I go to, so I'll see if I can get more information next time. There's a Repticon show in Orlando this weekend. Fish & Game didn't go to the Sarasota ReptiCon show, so I don't know if they'll be at the Orlando one. We probably won't be there, but if any of you guys are going and see any fish & game guys, please feel free to ask them the official position on this, and report back :)

16. bratspets

bratspets Member

17. leos@beardys

leos@beardys Embryo

I really don't think that my permit covers it. I used to offer to remove cottenmouths and copperheads. It was my understanding, from what I had read on the web that you could remove an animal that posed a direct threat to pets or children. Thankfully I only had to remove one cottenmouth. Then I was told that you have to have a venomous reptile permit to even have a cottenmouth temporary. I think the same school of thought is used for alligators.
    But please tell me what the fish and game people say.
    Thanks
    leos@beardys

18. greenanole5894

greenanole5894 New Member

Well, yeah a permit in some states, One had one near me, a petshop called BTJ's, but it burnt down. I think they HAD to get the American Crocidile out before any pets, so everything died instead of the alligator. What a shame.