Anole Newbie

Discussion in 'Anoles' started by MikeMartin, Feb 19, 2013.

1. MikeMartin

MikeMartin Embryo

I purchased an aquarium a few days ago and turned it into a terrarium with proper reptile sand (i'm a newbie so i trusted the store employee), humus to keep the moist, a coconut lair and fitted at first a schefflera actinophylla which I believe he liked it because he would easily turn green. But I researched for suited flora for my anole and read that this plant wasn't suited so i took it off and planted some begonias as flora. At the same time i got him some female company but because i'm a newbie I trusted another store employee which mislead me and sold me a Sagrei Anole female... Of course I kept both and on the same terrarium and they get along fine. For now I only have a basking light and I want to buy a UVB light. Do you recommend the Sylvania Reptistar lamp? The terrarium has 55x35x40 and it's made of glass with 2 breeding holes. The temperature is around 27ÂșC and the moist around 75%. But i'm thinking on building a bigger one (100x100x30). What kind of materials do you recommend so that the anole feels at ease?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Question, is your first anole a Knight anole?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Sorry, i mean brown anole

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

Well, A. sagrei is more terrestrial than A. carlinensis, and they have a tendency to prefer to cling head down on tree trunks and branches. I suggest a cork slab or something similar to make that species feel more at home. Green anoles will tend to stay higher up in the enclosure when housed with browns. A word of warning, if the female brown gets larger than the green, it may predate it, but since you said its a female there might not be a problem. Just be ready to seperate them should any fights occur. Otherwise I think your set up sounds pretty good, just make sure to also add a hide spot higher up in the tank.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. MikeMartin

MikeMartin Embryo

My male anole (also my first) is a green one (carolinensis). The female is a Sagrei and for what i researched it will always be smaller then the Carolinensis. They snuggled together a few times but they are usually apart (as you said the Carolinensis on the upper part of the terrarium and the Sagrei on the bottom).
    Do you recommend anything in particular for a bigger terrarium (90x130x55). For example an UVB light tube with 6% UVB? any specific basking light? Should I include a ceramic infrared bulb instead of the regular basking light?
    I want to give them the best habitat possible so what type of flora should i put in the terrarium?

This is the Female Sagrei with Begonias as flora. (Name:Maria)
    IMG_0455.JPG

This is the Carolinensis when I had the schefflera actinophylla as flora. (Name: Ohm)
    IMG_0450.JPG

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

The size can really be as big as you want it to be, just remember it needs a lot of vertical space for their climbing habits. As for lights, that % UVB sounds good. Basking can be simply an incandescent heating bulb, temp should be between 70-85 F.

12. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

-temp shouldn't drop below 60 F because of the brown anole

13. MikeMartin

MikeMartin Embryo

OK. Thanks for your help. When i have the new terrarium set up i'll post some pics here. bye for now

14. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

No problem. Just got myself a green anole a couple of months ago, still trying to figure the little guy out too. They're fascinating lizards to watch.

15. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

image.jpg This is mine.

StikyPaws312 likes this.
  16. JoshSnakeman

JoshSnakeman New Member

how are your anoles doing?