Are slate tiles fine as substrate?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

I live in South Africa, warm-hot Summer and mild-cold Winter, (African winter haha!). Anyways will a heat pad work well through the cage if it is a glass floor and I used slate tiles as a substrate? Should I put anything underneath the pad and/or anything between the tank and the cage?

There's a small chance that I might use something like reptile carpet...I don't really know of other substrate and I don't like using paper towels for my animals,

btw I know never use sand for pets, especially Leos ;)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Slate tiles are excellent. My top two substrate choices that combine both looks and safety are slate tile and non-adhesive shelf liner (the 'rubbery' kind). The shelf liner can be purchased very inexpensively and can come in a variety of colors/textures.

Here's what non-adhesive shelf liner looks like in my bearded dragon enclosure. I'm personally fond of Duck brand:
    [​IMG]

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Slate tile is perfect! I love it for almost all of my desert dwelling reptiles :) The tile my leo is on in my avatar is a pretty slate I found at home depot :)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

Did you put your heat mat underneath the tiles?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

I have glass tanks so the heat mat was under the tank stuck on to the bottom glass, then the tile was placed right inside the tank. Only with 1 type of tile did I have to use a little play sand under it to better conduct the heat.