Argh! Too many loose crickets!

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by Suzie, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Suzie

Suzie Embryo

Does anyone have any tips on how to catch loose crickets? I noticed far too late that the small crickets can get through the screen lid of one of my tanks (i just thought the critters had eaten them). So far I have caught nearly 20 of them in my room (well, my cat caught some of them) but I still glimpse a few running around. My parents will freak if they find out and/or find any somewhere else in the house. Any ideas?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. chris_wade

chris_wade New Member

yeh go to livefoods.co.uk they sell small bug traps on their site. im sure american reptiles supplies will to if you live over the their. you could place a few bits of lettuce and that in a bowl and they probably will come out for it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zarffyn

zarffyn Member

Yes, place a few slices of a fruit (like oranges) out and hopefully it will attract them. Use a container that has a lid on it, and lay it on it's side with the fruit inside. Then when crickets are inside, put the lid on and deal with them.

Good luck!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Suzie

Suzie Embryo

Thanks for the suggestions :) I'll check out the traps and try fruit for now.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

HAHAHA! Put a couple of glue traps down behind dressers and along floor boards with a piece of fruit in the middle, you will have caught all or most in a very short time, with no chance for escape!

Sharon

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. missy

missy Member

if you catch them maybe you should make a lid out of wood or something so they won't get out again

12. Suzie

Suzie Embryo

I got a new crickets cage and also made a new lid using much smaller screen.

13. Sirch

Sirch Member

is there any bait i can use to catch crickets?

14. Cathy

Cathy New Member

I agree with Ferret Corner! I had this same problem and bought some of the glue traps and it
    caught them. Good luck!!

15. blink

blink New Member

my GF's cat eats any crickets that escape!

16. herpslave

herpslave Member

I leave dirty underwear on the ground they gather there, then hairspray them to death! perfect lure, who would have known.

17. Bacardi

Bacardi New Member

lol unlucky, i had the same problem, not as bad as yours but i mean i had them in the walls of our kitchen - because they had escaped in my room and i tried to kill them but thy went under my desk and into a crack. the bad thing was that my dad bought noisy ones that day accidently so for a week we could hear crickets everywhere! but even weirder~ there was one in the loft!!!!