attn cage builders

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by ryzard, May 11, 2005.

1. ryzard

ryzard New Member

I'm planning to build a new cage enclosure sometime next week and I have a good idea how to do it but I've always relied on large store-bought aquariums, so I'd like some opinions from you guys on how you would do it
    It's going to be 2ft long, 30in wide (if you were looking at it from the front) and about 2ft high but could be a little higher. I was planning on using wire or something similar, but I could use plexyglass or something similar to that, and I have to keep it as cheap as possible
    How would you go about putting it together?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. lacerta

lacerta Member

Most reptiles will rub their rostral scales bloody raw on wire screen. Wire is fine for the top or to cover vents near top of cage but I would not use it for the main veiwing surfaces. Plexiglass is very prone to scratching. Lexan or other polycarbonate acrylic is pretty tough but it is more expensive than glass. I would go with 3/16 glass. I like sliding bypass doors on the front . I use the track that is made by Rockler:

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_detai...ferings_id=2275

George

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. lacerta

lacerta Member

Start with a plywood bottom (3/4), then glue & screw sides and back

[​IMG]

Build your face frames to hold the glass:

[​IMG]

Connect face frames to carcass of cage (biscuit & glue, or screw and glue). Reinforce with a frame around the top. Put some molding around bottom edge to hide edge of plywood:

[​IMG]

Waterproof interior with polyurethane, or better yet, use two part epoxy paint (garage floor) paint:

[​IMG]

Build matching base cabinet and hood, spray with nitrocellulose, rub-out, install hardware and glass: Easy-Cheesy-One-Two-Threesy !

[​IMG]
    George

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. nomad85

nomad85 Member

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

that is great looking. how long did it take you to make that?

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. lacerta

lacerta Member

Took about 6 hours for the cage itself. Of course, as with most woodworking projects about half the time is spent in sanding and fininshing. Base cabinet and hood took another day to complete. I could complete the whole project in three days, but spread it out over 2 weekends. Much of the time is spent waiting for glue-ups, epoxy paint, and lacquer to dry. It helps to have a well equipped shop, but do-able with at least a good table saw.
    George