baby beardie back leg paralysis

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by zizard, Jul 20, 2004.

1. zizard

zizard Embryo

i have a baby beardie and he is about a month and a half old. two days ago i went to pick him up, he bit me and then jumped back into his cage(the fall was probably 6-10cm). shortly after that. he wasn't moving his front or back legs. a few moments later, his fronts legs were moving, but not his back legs. he was dragging himself. a couple hours later, he was moving his back legs, but not like normal. as of yestorday, he is back to not being able to move his back legs! he has a small bump on his back! does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with him? is it impaction? can he be cured?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

it is not impaction he might have broken his spine take him to the vet asap

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. zizard

zizard Embryo

the only reason i thought it was impaction was because of the materials i read from this site. we got him when he was only a few days old. the pet store we got him from, had us line the bottom of the tank with crushed walnut. he also encouraged the feeding of larger crickets as long as the beardie was eating them. for about a week now, the beardie's been real fusy with eating. so he hasn't been getting all the calcium he needs. he has been very sleepy and lazy. do you still think that it is not impaction, but a broken spine?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

i do not think that it is impaction or a broken spine but it might be MBD do his legs looks like they are crooked in any manner? MBD is cause from lack of calcium

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. zizard

zizard Embryo

well, he can't use his back legs at all unless he drags them! last night he perched himself on the side of his water dish and slept with one front leg on it and one back leg on it! then when i turned his light on this morn, his back leg was stuck in that position! it doesn't look too awkward, but a little crooked! how do you cure a calcium deficiencey? he does have a bumb on his back, but is still moving around!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

you can buy pure calcium from any pet store. i use rep-cal. it is unltrafine and PHOSPHORUS FREE. sprinkle it on his food. symptoms of MBD are broken bones, twisted spine and legs, swollen limbs, bumps, swollen jaw, lethargy or lack of appetite, paralysis of lower extremities (legs). take him to a vet and get an x-ray is the best advice i can give.

12. ferret_corner

ferret_corner New Member

Yeah, a vet is really needed here. The animal is suffering with either a broken spine, dislocated vertebre, or MBD. Seriously, honestly, call a vet. Please.

Sharon