ball heating

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by abcornsnake12, Feb 19, 2004.

1. abcornsnake12

abcornsnake12 New Member

i would like 2 kno if this is 2 much i am going 2 get my ball tomorrow and i have his cage all set up its 90 on the hot side and am buying a therommet tomorrow for the cool side and on the hot side i have a 100w zoomed basking spotlight and a zoomed heat pad 4w and a 10w zoomed heat pad and my theromter is about a inch or to off the substart itss this 2 hot because i dont kno if the heat is makeing it hot bottom on the is how much more hoter

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. sapphire_moon

sapphire_moon Embryo

How are you measureing the heat? It sounds like there are alot of heating elements for it to be just 90 degrees.

If you don't have one, try to get a digi thermometer from like wal-mart with an indoor/outdoor probe. Put the probe on the inside of the tank right over the UTH, that will give you your correct heat.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jamielee

jamielee Embryo

another thing is you don't want a basking balb. you want a infared black light balb ranging from 60 to 150 watt. basking balbs are crappy i tried that, and they don't put off enough heat

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. smiles

smiles New Member

Basking bulbs should produce a significant amount of heat actually, however they also produce light and fo rthat reason you should indeed stick with the infrared bulbs.
    For the temp measure the temperature of the bottom of the tank. Sounds like you are measuring the ambient (air) temperature. You want to check the temperature in the places your snake willa ctually be touching like the very bottom of the cage under the substrate and on the surface of the substrate

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Tim90

Tim90 New Member

how big of a cage is it ? the heat pad is all i use to heat mine . it should heat up your cage very nicly.....