Ball Python/Kingsnake floor covering

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by VtMiPgYeRr, Dec 15, 2005.

1. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Ok that title sounds really weird I know. I looked through old forums and threads before making this, trying to see if anyone else had asked the same questions. Well I found similar topics but not exactly what I need. I have a kingsnake and soon to have a ball python. I would like to know, what is appeasing to the eye and yet easy to clean, for the bottom of the cage?

Also,because I haven't ever heard of this before, I heard someone say something that they used Shredded paper for the bottom of their cage. Is that really bad?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. DaCubs

DaCubs Well-Known Member

I'll move this over to General Snakes. You'll probably get a better response there, as more snake people will see it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

^^ Ok thanks

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Janice

Janice ReptileBoards Addict

I use aspen, and I really like it. It's a cinch to change out. You can also use slate tile, or ceramic tile, paper towels, or non-adhesive shelf liner, or the shredded newspaper.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. rosy

rosy New Member

I also use aspen bedding and it's easy to "spot check" and to clean the entire cage. Plus my snake loves to burrow in it.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. jondugard

jondugard New Member

yeh aspen is good i use that for my ball, the news paper is fine also i just put normal news paper in for my burm.

12. Ash19

Ash19 Well-Known Member

I use aspen as well. Mycorn loves to burrow, and it makes spot cleaning so easy.

13. LewsKinslayer0

LewsKinslayer0 Well-Known Member

We use aspen for our corn. She loves to burrow in it and most of the time it is easy to spot clean. The only time it isn't is when she poops while she is burrowing. The only thing about shreded paper would it not have a lot of dust?

14. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Aspen, Cypress Mulch, Newspaper, Repti-bark, and Carefresh are all ones I have tried and I tend to switch around a bit. The only of them that I didnt really care for was the Carefresh. It was very dry, a little dusty, and wasnt very attractive.

15. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

:D Thanks everyone. I love getting responses from people that I know are alive rather then always going to books for it that could have out dated information.

16. ScreeminChikin

ScreeminChikin New Member

I use aspen for my corn snakes because they like to burrough in it. The downside is that it doesnt have that natural appeal. For my Ball Python, I have allways used Reptibark. I like the batural look but I like to change the substrate fairly often and that stuff gets real expensive. On suggestion from Axe, I recently switched to cyprus mulch for my BP. I really like the natural look, even more so than the reptibark I think. I have several plants and whatnot in her cage and mixed with the cyprus makes for a really pleasing natural look. Probably the best thing for me is that it's absolutely cheap. I pay like $3 for a huge bag at Lowe's and its enough for several substrate changings. Since its so cheap, I dont really mess with cleaning the substrate much unless I see a big obvious poo. I dont dig through it regularly like I did with the reptibark, I just change it every week while I have her out in her feeding box. The downside is that it is that the bags are always wet at the store. I have heard that some poeple use it as is but I like to lay it out to dry before I use it. You also have to watch for mites. I also heard that some poeple bake it to kill any critters that might be in it and dry it out. My wife was not amused so I choose not to do that.

17. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

I use a bag of cypress that I get from the local hardware store. I can get 2 cubic feet for $1.50. Problem I have with that is that I only use half of it at the time, and the second time you go to use it, you have to pick out pieces that have mold growing on them, becuase the mulch stays wet. I bake it at 250 for about a half hour. Definately let it cool before you put the snake back in though!

18. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Wow I would have never thought of baking it. Could you explain that part to me a little bit more in depth?

19. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

Baking it kills any bugs or mites in the wood. I set the oven rack in the middle, and then bake the much in a 9"x11" cake pan. It takes about 6 pans for me to put 2.5 to 3" of much in the bottom of my 36x18". I bake 2 pans at a time at 350F for about 25 to 30 mins.

20. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Lol looks like Ill need to get more pans if that is way I want to go. I have a tank about that size as well and another tank to add in the few coming months. I have another question though, has anyone ever tried calcisand as a covering if the snake is by no means being fed in the cage?

21. Janice

calcisand is not good for any animal.

22. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Ok. was just wondering. I'll stick with the wood chips. Thanks everyone for all your help.

23. Janice

You are welcome :)!

24. slowfoxbird

slowfoxbird New Member

I only have 2 pans, you only have to cook it 2 at a time.

25. VtMiPgYeRr

VtMiPgYeRr Member

Lol But I don't think we even have one pan in my house. We don't do a whole lot of cooking sadly.