Ball Python not Deficating

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by BallPythonRafiki, Jun 15, 2004.

1. BallPythonRafiki

BallPythonRafiki Embryo

I have a 6 month Ball Python and he has eaten 4 mice in the last 3 weeks and has not deficated once. What should i do?

Chris

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. TomServo

TomServo New Member

Could be an impaction..

Do you have a vet that has knowledge of herps?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. emroul

emroul Embryo

He's most likely fine. Ball pythons in general have slow metabolisms, and he may not defecate for a few more weeks. It's perfectly normal for them to go 8+ feedings without defecating. I have 26 ball pythons, and some of them do not defecate even after 5+ medium rats. It COULD be impaction depending on the substrate used, but for now I think it is safe to say he's really fine. Just let the snake be a snake, and he'll go when he's ready. :)

Jennifer

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. clamper

clamper New Member

first what kind of subtrate do you use? second I would seek a vet with reptile exp. on average most snakes will deficate at lest once for every other meal. Good Luck

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. BallPythonRafiki

BallPythonRafiki Embryo

He is in aspen bedding but i always take him out and feed him in a seperate empty tank.

Chris

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clamper

clamper New Member

glad to hear you dont feed him on the aspen beding. try and get him to soak in some luke warm water some times that will help move things along

12. BallPythonRafiki

BallPythonRafiki Embryo

so i should just pick him up and put him in warm water.. wont he get pissed about being inthe water. I have had a large bowl of water in there ever since he was little and i have never seen him go in.

Chris

13. clamper

clamper New Member

he may not like it but it wont hurt him all he will do is try and get out. just clean out a sink and soak him in the sink if nothing else he will be clean

14. clamper

clamper New Member

hey has your bp deficated yet?

15. caliking

caliking New Member

it could be fineas all snakes have a slow mtabolic rate they may not deficate that often. If you are woried then contact a vet. It could have a blockage in the intestines from substrate (impaction). good luck.