banning the sale of chicks

Discussion in 'Reptile Law & Legislation' started by drbearded, Jan 21, 2006.

1. drbearded

drbearded New Member

due to that turtles under 4 inches are illegal to sell why not make chicks illegal

(1 they also carry salmonella

(2 an infant can stick a chick in the mouth

what do you think about this

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. bratspets

bratspets Member

Makes too much sense...doesn't it?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. LMarshall

LMarshall New Member

what of the 'bird' eating reptiles?

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. bratspets

bratspets Member

I guess the good thing about that 4" turtle law is that it saves so many hatchlings from a tortuous life in a filthy little bowl, and from the hands of toddlers. Parents that leave their kids unsupervised with their animals (of any kind) are risking all sorts of problems. It isn't just turtles. All reptiles can carry salmonella, and so can birds.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. biochic

biochic Well-Known Member

Actually, any animal can carry salmonella. There have been cases of petting zoo goats carrying it. That's the thing....it's not "reptile" thing. You can get it from a variety of sources.
    As for chicks, the only thing I hate to see are people that buy them around easter for "pets." Most cities won't allow it legally, but a lot of people get by with it. Those are animals I feel sorry for. Like rabbits as easter presents. They're treated like disposable pets.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. clarinet45

clarinet45 Well-Known Member

i like beign able to buy chicks around easter, the ultimate dispoable 'pet'. cheap and easy to keep like mice, they are monitor food!

12. bratspets

bratspets Member

LOL ...Lots of feed stores carry chicks...get it? Feed?

13. Just_Some_Guy

Just_Some_Guy Well-Known Member

You would never be able to ban the sale to many people would want them and its does make to much sense

14. dannielle

dannielle New Member

The Royal Family, the sale of alcohol was banned for some time in the United States, desptite people WANTING to purchase alcocohol. Consumer demand plays little role in the passing of legislation. It has more to do with enviromental and health problems that might arise.

15. bratspets

bratspets Member

As long as they don't sell drunk chicks, I don't think they should ban the sale of them. :roll:

16. MOgeckos

MOgeckos Embryo

it makes me sick to go into a farm store and see like 50 chicks in a little container walkin over their poop

17. bratspets

bratspets Member

Me, too.

Food animals are often raised in horrendous (overcrowded/filthy) conditions.

I worked as an agricultural technician for a "pullet" ranch (chickens raised from day old to egg laying age) for three months back in 1973. We administered preventative medicine to the pullets, primarily. It was horrid at times, and I couldn't stand it, though it did toughen me up a little.

Big cattle feedlots are really gross.
    We do need better laws governing the husbandry of food/farm animals on the books, including chicks.