Bearded Dragon Enclosure

Discussion in 'Enclosures, Heating & Lighting' started by Dee0510, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Dee0510

Dee0510 Embryo

My husband and I are planning on getting a bearded dragon sometime this month after we get all of his supplies. While he is small, he will be in a 20 gal tank that I'm about to switch my iggy out of. However, since they grow so fast, I'd like to start building his enclosure that I plan on him being in for the rest of his life. 4 ft in width/length 2 ft in height and 2 ft in depth. What I would like to do is make it out of plywood with a wood frame of 1 inch 2x2s and 2x4s. Half of the top will be made out of screen for the lamps to sit on. The whole front will open up and will either be screen or plated with pexiglass to mimic a french door/window (husband hasn't decided on that and the dragon will be his even with the $50 a month minimum to feed him (main reason I never got a lizard aside from my vegetarian one)) The bottom may or may not be covered in tile (again waiting on a decision).
    Anyway, I'm just wondering people's opinions on this and pictures of you homemade enclosures no matter what they're made out of? I've never made my own enclosure before and now I'm trying to plan two, one for my iggy and one for our new dragon, so I'm not entirely sure if this will work though with all the research I've done, I'm pretty sure the size is okay, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just worried about the materials and yes, I know I can't use pine but I thought there was another one that I can't seem to find again that was a nono?

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. StikyPaws312

StikyPaws312 Moderator

Welcome to Reptile Boards :)

Here is a link to a similar tank I designed quick the other day... you can change the measurements to be whatever you need but the basic instructions and materials are there.
    Here is another link to someone with a couple of different ideas and advice....

Here's my general advice on tank building:
    What you really have to know when making your own enclosure or decorating it is the "environment" inside the tank. For example - I have a Uromastyx that needs a basking spot up to 140 degrees F... therefor any type of material I use inside the tank on that side has to be safe (doesn't melt, out-gas, burn, change states from solid to liquid, etc.). As another example - I have a few species of Rhacdactylus geckos that all need varying levels of humidity, whether it be constant or once a day all the materials I use inside their enclosures have to be safe for high humidity (no electronics that aren't water proof, nothing that will grow mold, but also have to be weary of anything that says it's a mold or mildew prohibitor because those have chemicals that are potentially lethal to your animals).

Generally the following materials are "ok" to use but be mindful of the environment where you will be using them:
    -Store bought wood pieces that are appropriately sized for your reptile's weight (be weary of decking material or treated wood, these sometime have harmful chemicals that can out-gas when you have a basking spot or UTH on them)
    -Reptile Carpet
    -Tile (texturized- not slick)
    -Grout (don't purchase the mildew resistant kind, that type out-gasses and has high amounts of copper and zinc in it which may harm your reptile)
    -100% Silicone (good for high temps and humidity)
    -Stones - Riverbed stones, slate tiles, patio stones, bricks, etc.
    -Plywood (sealed), Melamine, etc.
    -Styrofoam or "Great stuff" foam insulator as long as it is properly covered with another safe material (silicone, grout, ecoearth, cocofiber, etc.)
    -Fake plants - Plastic or fabric, just please be mindful of lights and heating elements
    -Plywood and other wood building material - I have never used pressure treated and wouldn't recommend it because of the amount of chemicals used to preserve the wood but non-pressure treated wood is a great material to use

Anyway, those are just some things off the top of my head right now... I suggest using the search function and searching the enclosures and the bearded dragon forum for ideas. Good luck!