Black Throat Monitor - New Juvie Male

Discussion in 'Monitors & Tegus' started by CornSnakeBabe, Feb 6, 2005.

1. CornSnakeBabe

CornSnakeBabe Embryo

I planned on getting another tegu but instead came home with a young Black Throat Monitor!

So far he is a little skittish but has already had a big change in attitude and is growing less nervous.

I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions, tips, or information I may not find elsewhere. All night I have been brushing up on my knowledge of the species, but I have a few questions.

One is, there is a caresheet on BTs circulating that says the temp should be 130-170F! This seems a little crazy, and perhaps the person who wrote this means surface temperature...seems like this could fry a lizard! Mine is currently kept at 85 in the cool spot and 95 in the hot spot....please correct me asap if this is wrong, I just figured this would be a suitable temp until I could get online to get specifics about the BTs species.

Also, anyone have humidity guidelines? due to the winter & indoor heating, mine is between 40%-70% depending on when I spray.

Since they are from eastern, south africa in the Tanzania region, I wasn't sure what strength UVB striplight I should use. Right now My BT is using a regular 5.0%, but would he be better off with a 7.0%, especially as the cage is large & tall, the rays may dissapate by the time they reach his basking spot?

I would love some guidance with my BT.

Thanks so much!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. yesITis

yesITis New Member

hi about the basking temp make the ambient temp. around 80-85 because sometimes juvi's will be dumb and not want to bask and do nothing but hide and get Res. Infections and i dont know about 130-170 for the basking temp but you should have it around 120-135...95 is too low.. the humitity should be high too usally around 70-80% the more UVB the better the 5.0 is fine but the 7.0 would be better

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

the basking temp should not exceed 150F. 130F is the most appropriate for them. they dont have any special humidity needs and should be kept low. you do not need UVB. most studies show that UVB CANNOT penetrate the tough hides of monitors and there is no need for it. over temp of 85F is fine. yesITis, juvi's arent dumb they are just following their natural instinct to hide and not get eaten.
    CornSnakeBabe, here is the best caresheet you will find for blackthroats http://proexotics.com/care_ionides.html