bloated belly

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by roadrunner, Oct 3, 2012.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner New Member

Hi
    My bearded dragon has not eating in two weeks,he just came out of shedding and has done this last year for bout two weeks also and was ok after .he is pooing now and then but this morning his belly is all round,hard and bloated.I have bathed him in hot water and rubbed his belly in cause of impaction and constipation but no joy. is it worms or a parasite and what can i do .
    Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. dogking

dogking HOTM Winner September

ok, well my first thought would be impaction, but that really depends on the substrate you keep him on and what you feed him. If you could fill this out it would make it a lot easier to help diagnose the problem!

OWNER INFO
    Is this your first bearded dragon?
    What area are you located in?

PERSONAL HISTORY (Dragon)
    Dragons name:
    Age, weight and length if you know?
    How long with you?
    What is his condition recently and if it changed, when?
    Is he active, clear eyes and bright?
    Is the beard, chest or tail tip darker than the rest or than normal?
    Walking/moving normally?
    Any physical features that do not appear normal?
    From Breeder or Pet Store? (this may make a difference)
    Has he every been treated by a vet,
    If yes, for what and what meds were used/dosed and time if know?
    Basking or sleeping during the day?
    Is he going to the bathroom, how often?
    If not, when was the last time?
    Is it formed/normal or runny/smelly
    Alone or with others?
    If with others, what sex"?
    Soaking or misting at all and how often?

ENCLOSURE
    Set up info tank size?
    Temps -what do you use for heat?
    Basking point?
    Cool area?
    What are you measure it with?
    What Substrate?
    UVB Lights type (detailed) what brand, model, and length or wattage is
    How old?
    How close to UVB light when he bask?
    What hours for day/night?
    Do you use any type of nighttime heat, if so what?

FOOD
    How is his appetite? IS there a change?
    What size, kind and how many/much insects does he eat daily?
    What do you feed the insects normally?
    Is the dragon eating greens/veggies?
    What and how much?
    Supplements?
    What kind of calcium/how often?
    What kind of vitamins how often
    How are these given to him?

Is there any additional information that might be of use? The more you can tell us, the better others can help you with suggestions.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. roadrunner

roadrunner New Member

I have had him 3 years .my tank and all my temps are fine .i have a big 55 gallon tank ,I use the same food i always have ,locusts , waxworms, meal worms ,morio worms , crickets, . i know alot about them and have bout 10 books on beardies and reptiles. I am using calcium sand and have never had a problem with it or have i seen him eat any just the odd lick now and then.He just came out of shedding bout 3 weeks ago and didnt eat maybe the small bit of rocket but he did this last year and he was fine,i know they can go a while without food.There has been no change to lights or temp but as i am in Ireland it is now getting cold but i have lowered his uv and basking lights to 10 hours.This morning his belly was bloated and feels hard, i have bathed him in warm water for half an hour twice today ,he was peeing regularly and the odd poo even tho he had no food and they look normal , i could not see any worms or parasites. I just want to know if it will pass before i have to worry

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Would it be possible to get a picture of the belly? Preferably at least one photo of the belly from the underside and a shot of the beardie as well so we can take a look at him.

Parasites will usually encourage symptoms such as lethargy, lack of appetite, weight loss, smelly or unusual poo (not always), etc. The only way to truly know if it is parasites is to get a fecal examination run by an herp vet. You'll want to make sure the poo is pretty fresh when you take it in and it typically does not require an appointment and is often affordable. A fecal smear and float will need to be performed to be confident that there are no parasites in his system.

I know you aren't going to like hearing this, but the calcium sand needs to go. You can think of it like smoking... some people can do it and lead a full life with no issues, others develop lung cancer or other pulmonary and cardiac diseases. Its an unnessary risk factor that is completely in your control. I have seen too many impactions and my vet has seen too many impactions to ever justify using the product. Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it wont...and unfortunately I have witnessed on this forum and others impactions that have occurred later in an animal's life despite being reared on the sand for years with no problems.

Can you tell us more about the dragon's behavior? Any wheezing sounds or breathing strain? Lethargy and lack of appetite? Give us all of info that you can... But regular baths will be useful to both aid in potential blockage and to encourage a bowel movement that you can then take to the vet to check for parasites.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. roadrunner

roadrunner New Member

hi , you are all going to laugh but he finally pooed and the belly went ,he ate for two days then nothing again for the last 8 days r so but last night he became a she and laid 23 infertile eggs, that is why she has been like this . i was told it was male 3 years ago and never checked properly but yeah least i know now she will be ok , just wanted to let you know and say thanks for the advice.