blue tongue skink info

Discussion in 'General Lizards' started by superchole, Aug 16, 2004.

1. superchole

superchole New Member

i might be adopting a blue tongue skink and i wanted to know some info on them like all the basics. thanks for the help

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i can help ya on that topic a little :D Ive got a book on them and ill go get it and tell ya sum stuff. But first of all, wat do u need to no?

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Alrighty, Blue tongued skinks need a woddland type habitat with a cage measuring around 48x12x12 inches (lxwxh) for a single specimen. They look for food a lot so heavily planted vivariums wont last long or look as good as wat u started with. They need a few hides and they r active at daytime. some daily spraying is appreciated and a large sturdy water bowl at all times. Some people saw that u can keep a blu tongue with a bearded dragon but i think that any two different species being housed together is a no no. they need a temp ranging from 89-94 on the warm end and 75-80 on the cool. they need Uv lighting. These lizards do well in captivity and r usually easily handled. but the claws may need a quick trim occasionally (somethin i found out the hard way). The vivarium requires cleaning of poo every day. Blue tongues r scavenging omnivores and love snails. It is best to feed the food scattered about the cage rather than in a bowl (they love to scavenge). snails with shells will be bashed against a hard surface and then swalled down discarding the shell. These skinks will also eat cat or dog food, fruit (they like to lick the wet juicy insides) such as mango and banana. some veggies and boiled eggs. dog and cat food mashed shuld be fed sparingly to lower risk of obesity.crickets,mealworms,superworms,and wazworms can be fed as well.These lizards give birth to live young and may have between 6-25 babies.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i forgot to mension, the reason i have the book is cause i raised some blue tongues a few years ago. they make good pets.

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KLiK

KLiK Well-Known Member

they have a wicked bite. i got bit by one when i was looking into getting my first gecko.

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. superchole

superchole New Member

ok thanks thats a real help

12. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

be careful to find a good one. Like klik said, they can have a nasty bite. However most can become very tame but there r a stubborn few who really arent people persons (lizards). So make sure wen u get it, ask the person to get it out and let u hold it so that u can tell.

13. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Jeffreh... It is great that you took the time to research and provide information on BTSs. Quoting from books and other sites is fine but please include proper references to the source of your information. ie book name, author, and publisher or a link to the web site.

14. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

o sry

15. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

i culdnt find the blue tongue skink book. But i did use a book i found laying on the ground in my sisters room that i remebered had blu tongues in it :). It called EXOTIC PETS HANDBOOK, A family guide to buying, caring for, and breedind unusual pets. by David Manning. i cant find the publisher but it says Barron's at the top.
    I also used this website: http://www.livefood.co.uk/zbluetskink.htm
    Umm i didnt quote anything, i just used them as a reference and from wat i already knew :wink: I hope this helps more!

16. stormyva

stormyva Well-Known Member

Cool.... when you list references like that it also gives us a means to go back and find that information again or a place to look to gather more information.