Breeding catalog

Discussion in 'General Discussion and Introductions' started by BigZ3788, Jan 23, 2006.

1. BigZ3788

BigZ3788 Well-Known Member

This kinda goes along with the beardie morph/breeding history sticky. I was wondering if anyone has a system they would like to share for keeping track of their breeding projects. I am currently in the works of my own system. I want to be able to know the parents clutch # and individual number of the reptile [in my case cresties] as well as hatch date and picture of the gecko.

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. D00M

D00M Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what you mean, but I think the herp software out there can keep track of breeding projects. I know Free Herp can do it.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

There's cattery managment software that could probably be adapted to Herps...but honestly I haven't looked into it in years.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. BigZ3788

Oh yea, where would I get that at? Also I was wondering how I could prevent in breeding problems, should I be importing a mate?

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. KAOSRacing

KAOSRacing Member

I don't recall the name of the cattery software...I'll ask some of my cat show friends.

On the breeding, I can relate what ethical breeders in the cat fancy try to follow. We would not consider breeding a cat that we could not produce a five generation pedigree on, unless someone was starting on a new breed in which case a known quality (be it a known breed, exotic cat, or cat with a specific attribute) was bred to non-pedigreed cats to widen the gene pool.

There are a few rare instances where you would knowingly combine two established cat breeds. For example the Tonkinese cat (which is what I used to breed) started as a cross of Burmese and Siamese over 30 years ago.

As far as importing a mate, I don't know enough about Beardie genetics to feel qualified to answer that. With Tonkinese you have 4 basic colors and 3 patterns. I could tell you that if you breed a Chocolate Solid with a Blue Solid you should get a litter of kittens that are all solids and mostly Chocolate and Lilac colored with Blue being a possibility also...depending on if the Blue also carried the resessive gene or not (Chocolate and Lilac are resessive while Sepia and Blue are dominant). Given the number of colors and patterns in Beardies and the fact that I have no idea what's dominant and resessive...it's mind boggling to me!

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

To prevent inbreeding trouble it is best to outcross (introduce new genetics) atleast every third generation.

12. BigZ3788

How im I certain im introducing new genetics is kinda what im asking... (im talking cresties) but pretty much a general question.