Cage Help

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Karlee, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Karlee

Karlee Member

I need to know some things about the cage before I go out and buy the supplies, which wood does the best job for the lowest price? How big should the dimensions be for two adult CWDs? And what should I use for the side that won't be covered by wood? The sooner you answer the better!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Louie

Louie Member

Plywood will be fine . I used it when I helped a friend make an outdoor Jackson Chamaleon cage and 4 yrs later it is great.

I do not know anything about CWD so that I do not know.

"And what should I use for the side that won't be covered by wood?"

You can use hardware cloth which is another name for screen but since crickets can escape the 1/4 size type you might want smaller mesh.

Another option is plastic sheet which is easily attached to wood with gorilla glue or silicon and it holds tight.

Have you looked in craigs list for any cages ? I ask as know iguana cages, monitor cages are sold there now and than.

This site might be of some help but I disagree with cutting the wood as you can measure it before and have the lumber place cut exact size you are looking for.
    http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how_to_build_an_iguana_cage

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. Karlee

Karlee Member

Thx, I went ahead and used plywood any way so that is good to hear I didn't screw something up.
    And I feed my animals (all of them except my parakeet Tweety) in a seperate container so crickets being able to escape isn't an issue for me.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Louie

Louie Member

I have water troughs (make shift ponds) outside with plywood as frames for years now ,which are subjected to high humidity ,blazing sun and soaking wet daily for roughly 6 months during rainy season and all are fine.

This plywood frame goes around the little Mexican Platy "pond" ,is 4 years old and for the most part wet daily due to humidity or close to daily , subjected to intense sun and other than darker color, no worse for wear .

YARD 40 GALLON POND.jpg