Can leopard geckos eat silkworms?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by Tim3skimo, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Tim3skimo

Tim3skimo New Member

My Leo ignores crickets...she seems to like dubia roaches and mealworms, but dubia's are pretty rare here. So are silkworms healthy?

OH and can you use dog food as a gutloader? Currently using carrots, oats and other non flavoured cereal :)

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Silkworms (Bombyx mori) are possibly the BEST thing you can feed your herp. They are high in protein, low in fat, soft-bodied, and high in calcium.

In addition, they contain an enzyme called 'serrapeptase' that is known to reduce arterial plaque, reduce pain and inflammation, and help to promote calcium absorption in clinical studies. They've proven to be a fantastic feeder for rehabilitating rescue bearded dragons. If you can get silkworms, go for it!

The major downside to silkworms is their care requirements. They only feed on a single host species; Mulberry. If you do not have safe Mulberry leaves to harvest for food, then they require a special lab/chow gutload derived from Mulberry. They will not feed on anything else...or if they do, they will not live to maturity or more than a few days on it. They are also very sensitive to bacteria and require a fairly sterile environment, along with supplemental warmth and several daily feedings. When I bred silkworms, I was spending more time aring for them than the herps in my collection. BUT. They are an incredible, healthy food source and they are fun to culture. If you don't mind the extra bit of work and cost involved, they are amazing feeders.

I would also suggest starting out with a few to see if your leo likes them. Some leopard geckos prefer 'crunchier' food items and silkworms also do not move much and are therefore not ideal for species that rely heavily on visual stimuli. But many geckos, bearded dragons, and other species relish them.

You can feed dog food as a gutload - but you don't have to. The major gutloading components and variety should come from offering a variety of vegetable and fruit items for a moisture/food source. I generally use a mix of baby cereals, chick starter, and occasionally mix in some dog or cat kibble (when gutloading crickets or roaches).

StikyPaws312 likes this.