Cham Eating leaves...

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by colby82, Nov 26, 2009.

1. colby82

colby82 Embryo

Hello, i have a 1.5 yr old cham.. he is in a 4foot tall by 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep enclosure.. all mesh.. heating element.. heat lamp, and a UV Light.. auto mister. one real plant, one fake plant.. basking area is about 94 and the night temp is about 75..
    so my question is.. he has been taking bites out of the leaves on the real tree.. is he trying to get more water? cause along with the auto mister, i mist him twice a day with a GENEROUS amount of water.. any one else cham eat leaves... some are even on the ground dry...

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. Geckoguy52

Geckoguy52 New Member

hello,

my cham doesn't do this, but i've heard of some that do. you might want to look into getting a water drip system. these drip water so you dont need to mist for your cham to drink. however, you still need to mist for humidity purposes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

Hey colby, welcome to the forums =)

What species of cham do you have right now?

Although I do not keep chameleons, I've done some research on them because I seriously considered getting one recently. Due to time and money restraints, however, I have opted to wait on getting one.

Anyway, it's my understanding that some chams are actually omnivorous and will readily consume certain leaves of plants and veggies. Dependent on the species of your little guy, I'd say it's perfectly normal for him to want to ingest some of the foliage in there. What type of plant is he exposed to? As long as the plant is not toxic and is considered safe or edible, I would not worry about it.

Hope that helps, maybe someone with more experience can correct me or add to it!

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. Metric

Metric New Member

If it's a veiled your absolutely correct. Veids like to eat some veggie's here and there. Collard greens, dandilion greens, banana, apple, grapes, pears etc. Make sure you prepare the fruits+veggies properly allowing there to be no pieces large enough for him/her to choke on. Also if he is eating leaves off the live plant, make sure it's not toxic, otherwise remove it ASAP.