Choosing The Right Snake For Me?!

Discussion in 'General Snakes' started by kneisser608, Apr 27, 2009.

1. kneisser608

kneisser608 Embryo

I am looking to get a snake. I am not sure what kind of snake would fit me and I would really like any help I can get! Heres what I am looking for in this snake:

1) What snakes are Medium Sized, maybe 2-4 feet long?
    2) What snakes Eats fish/ lizard/geckos/whatever possible/ maybe a pinky once or twice a month, but not for every feeding session/ I have no problem feeding a snake animals, except for frozen mice would be a hassle to keep in the house...
    3) What snakes Live in a medium-medium large tank?
    4) What snakes can have a Cool color?
    5) What snakes are known to be rather Friendly?
    6) Cheap to care for (Not saying I wont get him the neccessities, but nothing that needs some crazy ridiculous unneccasary bedding, or food or something)
    7) Active Snake

Please any suggestions for a snake that would fit these "requirements", I would be very grateful. I will do much more research before actually purchasing the suggested snake so do not say I am not ready please, I have the finances, and space, and care for animals a lot!

I heard some snakes can that meet most of these requirements can live on fish most of their lives, but they need atleast 1 - 2 pinkys a month. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

What snake is 1-2 feet? Is a Very Very small snake. Very few. Maby a rosey boa, is that tiny.
    Eats fish. Garter snake is about the only one I know that is readly available that will eat fish.
    Live is a medium tank? What is medium to you. I consider a medium tank 20-40 gallon. A garter snake, corn snake, and rosey boa can live in that small of a tank.
    cool color. Thats a personal opinion.
    Frendly... most snakes are not friendly but there are lots that tolerate handling very well. Corn snakes, garter snakes, do wel being handled.
    Most snakes are farily reasonable to care for. just a few dollers a month after you get the initial tank setup.

You should realize that 1-2 feet is a very small snake. Most snakes are babies at that size. Most common sized small snakes are in the 3-4 feet range. I would recomend that you find/go to a pet store that has a 3-4 foot snake to see how small that really is.
    Garter snakes can live in a 30 gallon tank 12x12x30 ish inch tank. And they eat fish. Most all other common snakes will eat only mice of various sizes. If you are willing to feed mice you can open up a whole word of posiblities of possible snakes.

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. jeepnphreak

jeepnphreak Member

What snake is 1-2 feet? Is a Very Very small snake. Very few. Maby a rosey boa, is that tiny.
    Eats fish. Garter snake is about the only one I know that is readly available that will eat fish.
    Live is a medium tank? What is medium to you. I consider a medium tank 20-40 gallon. A garter snake, corn snake, and rosey boa can live in that small of a tank.
    cool color. Thats a personal opinion.
    Frendly... most snakes are not friendly but there are lots that tolerate handling very well. Corn snakes, garter snakes, do wel being handled.
    Most snakes are farily reasonable to care for. just a few dollers a month after you get the initial tank setup.

You should realize that 1-2 feet is a very small snake. Most snakes are babies at that size. Most common sized small snakes are in the 3-4 feet range. I would recomend that you find/go to a pet store that has a 3-4 foot snake to see how small that really is.
    Garter snakes can live in a 30 gallon tank 12x12x30 ish inch tank. And they eat fish. Most all other common snakes will eat only mice of various sizes. If you are willing to feed mice you can open up a whole word of posiblities of possible snakes.

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. kneisser608

kneisser608 Embryo

Well, after doing some more research before checking your post, I realized 1-2 feet is wayy too small, so I am now looking at a snake, like you said, 3-4 feet long...POSSIBLY a bit longer... And I consider a "medium" tank as 20-40 gallons.

I have another question for you...don't snakes need to be fed every few days? Which would mean keeping frozen mice in the house, or going to the petstore every few days? And is there a snake that can live off of other reptiles, but with the exception of a small mouse once or twice a month? I was reading a site and it went like this -

If your snake is between 0-9 months old feed an appropriately sized* item every 5 days.
    If your snake is between 9-12 months feed an appropriately sized* item every 6 days.
    If your snake is between 1-3 years feed it an appropriately sized* item every 10 days
    If your snake is over 3 years feed it an appropriately sized* item every 14 days.

When my corn snake/rosy boa is between 1-12+ months...can it feed on other reptiles, with that option of a mouse every now and then for nutrients? My parents agreed to getting small mouse every few weeks, but not every few days....but if I had reptiles that it could eat...that wouldnt be a problem at all, I would just buy them another habitat...is this even a possibility? I read it one or two places, and you seem to know what you are talking about, so thanks again for your help! And if you could answer these BUNDLE of questions, much appreciation to you for helping a possible upcoming snake-owner :)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

why dont you want a snake that takes frozen mice all the time? its much less of a hassle

edit
    nevermind, you cant keep frozen rodents in the house.

you could just go to the store and buy a frozen mouse or rat on feeding day. i know petco sells them in pach of 3 and packs of just 1. its alot less hassle than keeping anoles for feeding. im not sure what types of frogs normally get fed to snakes, but i know people use anole as feeder lizards. but it really is so much easier to deal with frozen rodents, plus they are easier to find at good prices

10. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

11. kneisser608

kneisser608 Embryo

Well atm I am looking for a miniature freezer that would be just big enough to keep a few frozen mice in for a few feeding sessions...and just re-stock it whenever out, you know what I mean hehe, and when you say "feeder lizards" do you just mean they are used as food? Or do you mean they are a starting off food, that soon needs to be upgraded to mice? Do anole lizards have the nutrients etc that is needed? And can any snake feed off them? I already have 2 tanks, and one would be good to carry anole lizards...and the other for my snake...

12. Shanna66

Shanna66 Well-Known Member

im not sure about their nutritional value compared to mice. and when i say feeder animals i do mean animals that are used as food. ive never tried to use them as food since i prefer to stick with rodents, plus im not sure if any of my snakes would take them. sorry i cant be of more help

13. teiryklav

teiryklav Member

if id say candoia is a best starter snake for you. especially candoia carinata, pacific boa, that goes over 2 feet. i know it's kinda small, but, first, it accepts house geckos, lizard, pingkies if you give them.
    you can keep it in small-medium sized tank, or you can keep it in colony in a big sized tank
    candoia carinata has been known to have redish brown colour, grey, brown, and many other colour. not very cool, but i like it.
    this thingy is one of the most docile snake i've ever known, and nearly every pacific boa are docile.
    this thing is easy, though, and dont need much money to care for.
    unfortunately, pacific boa are nocturnal, so you'll rarely see it on active mode.

another option, viper boa, candoia aspera, that goes to 3 feet.
    the problem is only they need to eat rats, white rats, or pingkies.
    they need to be kept in medium.
    colour, better than pacific i guess, can be golden
    sometimes docile, but some are not.
    care easy
    nocturnal too i guess.

okay :blink: :)