Confused

Discussion in 'Uromastyx' started by swthny20, Mar 5, 2010.

1. swthny20

swthny20 Embryo

Everywhere i look and what have been told by the pet store to feed my two newly uromastyxs is confusing. I heard kale was good then bad and then wuts excellent for them and then it isnt . I feed them endive, swiss chard, baby bok choy, shaghai bok choy, chicory, a little kale or collard greens. But im having problems with them eating the greens so like i saw on another forum a little tough love just give them only greens for a bit. So i was just wondering if someone can name off a few more that they can have and wondering if bananas or red bananas are ok?? some told me it binds calcium and others say its fine. So a couple lists of veggies or recipes and fruits would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

3. swthny20

swthny20 Embryo

Please I really need more options for what mali uromastyxs can eat!! Can they have zucchini?? what other veggies is ok for them?? I need a good list for what people actually know they can have and what they cannot have at all. Please help!

4. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

5. teach920

teach920 New Member

Personally, I would steer clear of the kale....while it won't hurt occasionally, it really shouldn't be fed often.....The 3 main food items for my Uro are Curly Endive, Escarole, and in the summer months, Dandelions....(pesticide free of course)

6. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

7. MimC

MimC Moderator

There is a lot of different info out there, all i can tell you is the diet I have been feeding to my Uro with great suces for several years.

He eats a mixture of organic spring mix, endive, escarole, dandelion greens, mustard greens and turnip greens.

I also offer a dish of millet seed, pretty bird finch pellets and ground 10-bean soup mix. This dish is in the cage all of the time and the greens are given fresh daily. I've heard some people say their Uros will eat only the seed/bean mixture if they leave it in all the time, so they tend to just offer it a few times a week, personally my uro has always eaten his greens and seed mixture well so i dont have that problem. I've had him for about 4years now and he grows and thrives on this diet.

Generally I use www.deerfernfarms.com as my resource for all things Uro, their caresheet is excellent and very extensive! Check it out :)

I concure with the above...Kale should generally be avoided because it is high in oxalates (a calcium binder)

8. JEFFREH

JEFFREH Administrator

9. jeffg46

jeffg46 New Member

In looking over a number of on-line care sheets it seems the big thing is what not to feed them.

Diet
    Uromastyx are Omnivorous. The majority of their diet consists of vegetables with the occasional insects as a treat. Vegetables include carrots, beans, peas, corn, mustard greens, bok choy, collard greens, parsnips, squash and dandelion flowers. You can also offer birdseed and finch pellets in to the vegetable mix. Make sure anything picked from a garden or yard is 100% pesticide and herbicide free. Veggies not to feed would be, spinach, beet greens, Swiss chard, cabbage and limit broccoli and kale, these tend to bind important nutrients or tend to induce metabolic problems overtime. Romaine lettuce and regular lettuce provide no nutritional value. Insects include: crickets, mealworms, superworms and waxworms. Insects should be used sparingly because of their kidneys inability to process large amounts of protein. All foods should be dusted with Vitamin D3 and calcium.

This is an excerpt from the following: http://www.reptileuv.com/reptile-caresheets/uromastyx.php

It has a good list of what to avoid.